Calculating Speed of Mass on a Spring

• Thread starter lebprince
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, a horizontal spring with a stiffness of 0.8 N/m and a relaxed length of 17 cm (0.17 m) has a mass of 21 grams (0.021 kg) attached and is stretched to a total length of 25 cm (0.25 m). When released from rest, the mass will return to its relaxed length with a speed of vf, which can be found using the equation 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2, where m is the mass, k is the spring constant, and x is the displacement from the equilibrium position. By setting Ki equal to Kf, the correct value of vf can be calculated.
lebprince

Homework Statement

A horizontal spring with stiffness 0.8 N/m has a relaxed length of 17 cm (0.17 m). A mass of 21 grams (0.021 kg) is attached and you stretch the spring to a total length of 25 cm (0.25 m). The mass is then released from rest. What is the speed of the mass at the moment when the spring returns to its relaxed length of 17 cm (0.17 m)?

Homework Equations

Ef= Ei +W

Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui + W

The Attempt at a Solution

so no work done W=0
Ki = 0 since released from rest
then 1/2 mvf^2 + 1/2Ksf^2 = 1\2Ksi^2
i want to find vf , i have m , i have k, i guess am having a problem with Sf and Si cause am not getting a correct answer, and am not sure if am using the right formula. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
ok what is the formula when you have a spring ...late me give you hint.

Kf + Uf = Ki + Ui
you don't have to find work because there is no friction .so Uf and Ui is Zero because the hight is 0.so what left

Kf = ki
which is 1/2mv^2 = 1/2kx^2

plug the value you have k,x,and also mass
don't forget there is some trick on X.
good luck .ask if you have question

Thanks for your reply , i was able to get the right answer

1. How do you calculate the speed of a mass on a spring?

The speed of a mass on a spring can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes for the mass to travel that distance. This can be represented by the formula: speed (m/s) = distance (m) / time (s).

2. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a mass on a spring?

The formula for calculating the speed of a mass on a spring is speed (m/s) = distance (m) / time (s).

3. Can you use the same formula to calculate the speed of a mass on a spring regardless of the mass or spring constant?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the speed of a mass on a spring regardless of the mass or spring constant. However, the values for mass and spring constant will affect the speed of the mass on the spring.

4. How does the mass affect the speed of a mass on a spring?

The mass of the object will affect the speed of a mass on a spring. A heavier mass will have a lower speed compared to a lighter mass, as it requires more force to move the heavier mass.

5. How does the spring constant affect the speed of a mass on a spring?

The spring constant, also known as the stiffness of the spring, will also affect the speed of a mass on a spring. A higher spring constant will result in a higher speed, as it requires more force to compress or stretch the spring.