Understanding Springs: What Happens with Applying Force?

• Thread starter jacobsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spring
In summary, springs do not compress when a force is applied, there must be a reaction force on the opposite end of the spring for it to compress. Additionally, if you want to apply damping, you need to include the damping coefficient c in the equation.
jacobsmith
I am rather confused about springs. This may be an obvious question, so just bear with me.

Now, say you had two spheres of any mass, a spring (that obeys Hooke's Law) connecting them, and the whole system was without external forces or friction (we can say, suspended in space). Now, what would happen if you applied a force to one of the spheres, in the direction of the other sphere? How far would the spring contract - would it even contract in the first place?

Physics news on Phys.org
jacobsmith said:
would it even contract in the first place?

No. If there is no opposing force the spring won't compress. There must be a reaction force on the opposite end of the spring for it to compress. Otherwise, it will just move in space.

CS

I disagree. Let's say we have two masses attached to a spring, m1 and m2. The spring constant is known and is equal to k. Let's say we push the masses with force F until the entire system is accelerating at a. We know, from free-body diagrams, that F-Fspring = m1*a and Fspring = m2*a. Eliminating a, we have (F - Fspring)/m1 = Fspring/m2. Solving for Fsrping we have (F*m2)/((m1+m2)) = Fspring = kx. Thus the spring will compress until x = (F*m2)/(k*(m1+m2))

stewartcs said:
No. If there is no opposing force the spring won't compress. There must be a reaction force on the opposite end of the spring for it to compress. Otherwise, it will just move in space.

CS
The reaction force is due to the inertia of the spheres via f=ma. A force on one causes both to accelerate and a force between them (it'll be half the force applied to the first).

russ_watters said:
The reaction force is due to the inertia of the spheres via f=ma. A force on one causes both to accelerate and a force between them (it'll be half the force applied to the first).

Opps! Forgot about inertia...you can go ahead and smack me now. :redface:

CS

You can decribe the response of the spheres with respect to each other with a simple second order DE.

mx'' - kx = 0

Topher925 said:
You can decribe the response of the spheres with respect to each other with a simple second order DE.

mx'' - kx = 0

How would I apply this equation? Would I use it for both spheres?

And if I wanted to add in damping, the equation would be this: mx'' - cx' - kx = 0 where c is the damping coefficient?

Thank you all for your help.

1. What is a spring?

A spring is an elastic object that can store potential energy when stretched or compressed. It is typically made of metal and has a coiled shape.

2. How does a spring work?

When a force is applied to a spring, it undergoes a deformation or change in shape. This deformation creates a restoring force that tries to bring the spring back to its original shape. The magnitude of the restoring force is directly proportional to the amount of deformation.

3. What happens when you apply force to a spring?

When force is applied to a spring, it stretches or compresses depending on the direction of the force. This causes the atoms within the spring to move and rearrange, storing potential energy. The spring will continue to stretch or compress until the applied force is removed.

4. What factors affect a spring's behavior?

The behavior of a spring is affected by its material properties, such as stiffness and strength, as well as its physical dimensions, such as length and diameter. The amount of force applied and the direction of the force also play a role in the spring's behavior.

5. Can a spring's behavior be predicted?

Yes, a spring's behavior can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles, such as Hooke's Law. These equations take into account the factors that affect a spring's behavior and can accurately predict its deformation and restoring force.