Can a Constant Force be Achieved with a Variable Spring?

In summary, a long spring will have a nearly constant force, however there should be no additional input energy involved (apart from the force which's acting on the spring/arrangement). The rolled ribbon springs, what exactly are their limitations? Can they provide 2 or 3 tons with variation of like...0.2 tons at most with a distance of 10 ft? If so how much space will they require? Can they be used as gym weight replacements (not the bars and dumbbells of course...other stuff)? Finally, can they expand instead of applying force through contraction.
dE_logics
Not necessarily a spring, I was looking forwards towards an arrangement so as to provide constant force regardless of the distance by which the thing has been pushed...just like a spring with variable k so as to maintain so as to maintain a constant force regardless of the distance it has deviated from it's mean position (commonly called as x) (of course up till a limit).

Now, there should be no additional input energy involved (apart from the force which's acting on the spring/arrangement)...for e.g. a motor (which's active but not rotating will provide a constant force) is not the solution...it should be a conservative system.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sure there are many ways to [over]design something like that, but http://www.vulcanspring.com/conforce.html" might be what you're looking for.

Last edited by a moderator:
A really long spring will have an almost constant force...

These rolled ribbon springs, what exactly are their limitations...I mean, what's the maximum force after which the deflection becomes considerable?

Can they provide 2 or 3 tons with variation of like...0.2 tons at most with a distance of 10 ft?

If so how much space will they require?

An opposite case...can they provide like 4-6 lbs with at most 0.5 lbs deflection with a distance of 1ft?Can they be used as gym weight replacements (not the bars and dumbbells of course...other stuff)?

Finally, can they expand instead of applying force through contraction.

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the specifics. You'll have to check the specs from the retailers. The link I gave before let you spec one out I think. As far as expanding rather than contracting, I would guess no, but that's just my guess.

Humm..ok.

I did checkout various manufactures but they only make the thing on order...so they don't have any "predefined" limitations.

Thanks!

1. What is a spring with variable k?

A spring with variable k is a type of spring where the spring constant, or k value, changes depending on the amount of force applied to it. This means that the stiffness of the spring will vary, making it useful for certain applications such as shock absorbers or suspension systems.

2. How does a spring with variable k work?

A spring with variable k works by changing its stiffness in response to an applied force. As more force is applied, the spring will become stiffer and resist the force, while less force will cause the spring to become less stiff. This allows the spring to adapt to different situations and provide the necessary support or resistance.

3. What are the benefits of using a spring with variable k?

One of the main benefits of using a spring with variable k is its ability to adapt to changing conditions. This makes it useful in a variety of applications where a constant stiffness spring may not be as effective. Additionally, a spring with variable k can help reduce vibrations and provide better shock absorption.

4. How is the k value of a spring with variable k determined?

The k value of a spring with variable k is typically determined through testing and experimentation. By applying different amounts of force to the spring and measuring the resulting displacement, the k value can be calculated. Other factors such as the material and design of the spring can also affect the k value.

5. Can a spring with variable k be used in all types of springs?

No, a spring with variable k is not suitable for all types of springs. It is most commonly used in coil springs, where the stiffness can be adjusted by changing the number of coils or the shape of the coils. It may not be as effective in other types of springs such as leaf springs or torsion springs.