Square Root Problem: Solving for m in s=k√(1+m)/(1-m) | Help & Tips

In summary, the conversation is about solving an equation for the variable m. The equation is s=k\sqrt{\frac{1+m}{1-m}} and the suggested method is to divide both sides by k and then use the operation of squaring to eliminate the square root. The final step involves multiplying both sides by k^2 and (1-m) to rearrange the terms and isolate the variable m. The conversation also mentions that while there may be some tricks involved in solving equations, most of the time it can be done through basic mathematical understanding.
triden

Homework Statement

[tex]s=k\sqrt{\frac{1+m}{1-m}}[/tex] , solve for m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I am stumped, but I do know there is a trick to it. I can't quite remember, but it might have something to do with taking the reciperical or the inverse...maybe the conjugate? Just need a little help getting started.

Thanks,
Chris

Physics news on Phys.org
Something that would be helpful is to divide both sides by k.
The equation then becomes
[tex]
\frac{s}{k} = \sqrt{\frac{1 + m}{1 - m}}
[/tex]
Now, what operation gets rid of square roots?

Ok, got rid of the root by squaring. Now I have this. How can I isolate the m variable?

[tex]\frac{s^{2}}{k^{2}} = \frac{1+m}{1-m}[/tex]

Multiply both sides by k2, then multiply both sides by (1 - m). If you expand both sides, you should be able to rearrange things to get the terms with m on one side, and all the others on the other side.

Something you said at the beginning deserves a comment:
Honestly I am stumped, but I do know there is a trick to it.
There are probably a few occasions where solving an equation requires some trick that you have to know, but most of the time it's done by plain old mathematical understanding.

1) What is the purpose of solving for m in the square root problem?

The purpose of solving for m in the square root problem is to find the unknown variable that will make the equation true. This is important in scientific research and calculations, as it allows for accurate and precise results.

2) How do I solve for m in the square root problem?

To solve for m, you can follow these steps:
1. Multiply both sides of the equation by the denominator on the right side (1-m).
2. Square both sides of the equation to eliminate the square root.
3. Simplify the equation by combining like terms.
4. Isolate the variable m by moving all other terms to the opposite side of the equation.
5. Solve for m using basic algebraic operations.
6. Check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3) What is the significance of the constant k in the square root problem?

The constant k in the square root problem represents the scaling factor of the square root. It affects the shape and position of the graph of the function. Changing the value of k will result in a different graph and therefore a different solution for m.

4) Can I use a calculator to solve for m in the square root problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve for m in the square root problem. However, it is important to note that calculators may not always provide exact solutions and may round off decimals. It is recommended to use a calculator as a tool and double check your answer using the steps mentioned in question 2.

5) What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving for m in the square root problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving for m in the square root problem include:
- Forgetting to square both sides of the equation
- Misinterpreting the order of operations
- Making a calculation error
- Not checking the solution by plugging it back into the original equation
It is important to be careful and double check your work to avoid these mistakes.