1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A srping task

1. Oct 22, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Preliminary questions:

1. John's weight is 618 N. He is sitting on a bosun's chair which is suspended from a spring. John's feet are pressing vertically down on a bathroom scale which reads 45 kg. What force is John exerting on the bathroom scale?

Correct, computer gets: 441 N

2. What force is John applying to the spring?

Correct, computer gets: 177 N

The spring task:

Here is a table of the force applied to a spring and the resulting extension, Δl.

Force (N) Δl (m)
    281 0.10
    358 0.15
    685 0.30
    1012 0.45
    1089 0.50

Plot a graph of Force vs. Δl.
    What is the spring constant? If you don't plot a graph (or use a fitting program), you will get wrong answers. Plot the graph and see why.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure.

3. The attempt at a solution

I've plotted a graph, and came up with Δl = 0.4. Then I devided 177 N by 0.4, but the resulting answer wasn't correct.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2015 #2
    just plot the graph on excel and get the equation of the line. you will something like this y=2034x+54. the 2034 will be your spring constant

4. Oct 25, 2015 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I doubt leloup is still waiting for an answer after 8 years.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted