A star is born - Susan Boyle

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Star
In summary: You go girl! nice :biggrin:Finally, someone with talent on a talent show.Finally, someone with talent on a talent show.In summary, the talented Ms. Susan Boyle performed on Britain's Got Talent and was quite impressive. She has a very soulful voice and the judges were likely set up. However, her appearance and attitude were fake to some viewers.
Physics news on Phys.org
Bravo for Ms.Boyle!

haha honestly I near teared up

You go girl! nice :biggrin:

Finally, someone with talent on a talent show.

and she wasn't even trying

...and the then 11 year old Bianca Ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4brcjR8Wuk

Susan Boyle - WOW!

Ivan Seeking said:
...and the then 11 year old Bianca Ryan
Only 11?! She can belt it out!

Greg Bernhardt said:
haha honestly I near teared up

Luckily, I'm not a complete cynic, but ... I'd suspect that there was a scripted aspect to the performance on the part of the judges and the show, in that the producers must have screened these people and knew full well that she has a talented voice, (she definitely has a rich and soulful voice), and they simply played it with the back stage Dumb and Dumber guys being in on the thing.

Monique said:
Indeed most are horrible, but have you seen these contestants?
Perhaps the British version of the show is better than the American version. Connie's very cute and talented, but I think she butchered the song. I think she's too young, but maybe she'll do better when she's seven. Pol Pot, although talented enough, picked a singing style that requires more talent than he has.

LowlyPion said:
Luckily, I'm not a complete cynic, but ... I'd suspect that there was a scripted aspect to the performance on the part of the judges and the show, in that the producers must have screened these people and knew full well that she has a talented voice, (she definitely has a rich and soulful voice), and they simply played it with the back stage Dumb and Dumber guys being in on the thing.

Perhaps, but she was genuine [almost painfully so :biggrin:], as was the audience reaction. In just a few moments, I would guess on the eighth note, a star was born. It is fun to see it happen.

Last edited:
Astronuc said:
Susan Boyle - WOW!

Indeed!

Only 11?! She can belt it out!

Check out her Janice Joplin routine; incredible! Allegedly she taught herself how to sing.

I've seen several clips of her on the news now. Very impressive voice. Though, there was a clip of her being interviewed on some news show afterward, and she looked quite a lot better in the interview...someone has already helped clean up her appearance...she had a nicer haircut and her eyebrows were plucked/waxed/thinned/something. That's really what gave her such a harsh look were those bushy eyebrows and wildly curly hair. I almost wonder if she exaggerated her appearance to seem worse just to make a point.

She says that not only has she never been married, she's never even been kissed.

Moonbear said:
I almost wonder if she exaggerated her appearance to seem worse just to make a point.

First thing comes to my mind whenever I watch these things :rofl:. I guess that's how they run their business.

Her voice was beautiful without doubt. But, her attitude and their surprising looks looked fake to me :(

At a similar juncture in history, she outsings Kate Smith.

rootX said:
But, her attitude and their surprising looks looked fake to me :(

See, I don't exactly get that sentiment. Well, I do, to a point. But not everyone with a talented singing voice is physically beautiful or stylishly coiffed and glued together. And that's rather the point. Why couldn't she be real as she is and be possessed of massive talent?

I kind of like not being cynical all the time. It may be a failing of mine, but the world's a little nicer place for it.

rootX said:
First thing comes to my mind whenever I watch these things :rofl:. I guess that's how they run their business.

Her voice was beautiful without doubt. But, her attitude and their surprising looks looked fake to me :(
I don't think the judges are good enough actors to fake it, but they almost certainly were set up. Unlike with American Idol, the judges don't do the initial screening in that show (i think).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/16/britains-got-talent-susan-boyle

Why are we so shocked when "ugly" women can do things, rather than sitting at home weeping and wishing they were somebody else? Men are allowed to be ugly and talented. But a woman has to have the bright, empty beauty of a toy - or get off the screen. We don't want to look at you. Except on the news, where you can weep because some awful personal tragedy has befallen you.

Susan will probably win Britain's Got Talent. She will be the little munter that could sing, served up for the British public every Saturday night. Look! It's "ugly"! It sings! And I know that we think that this will make us better people. But Susan Boyle will be the freakish exception that makes the rule. By raising this Susan up, we will forgive ourselves for grinding every other Susan into the dust. It will be a very partial and poisoned redemption. Because Britain's Got Malice. Sing, Susan, sing - to an ugly crowd that doesn't deserve you.

How many contestants of this quality has the show produced?

Is it possible that those who decry the attention shown are the ones who really have the problem? The way that I see it, the entire world is celebrating this woman's unexpected success, and instead of recognizing that, this article seeks to make it something ugly.

Last edited:

1. What is "A Star is Born" about?

"A Star is Born" is a movie about a talented but unknown singer named Susan Boyle who becomes an overnight sensation after appearing on the television show "Britain's Got Talent."

2. Is "A Star is Born" based on a true story?

Yes, "A Star is Born" is based on the real-life story of Susan Boyle and her rise to fame after her audition on "Britain's Got Talent" in 2009.

3. Who plays Susan Boyle in "A Star is Born"?

Actress and singer, Katherine McPhee, plays Susan Boyle in "A Star is Born." She was chosen for the role because of her similar vocal range and physical appearance to Boyle.

4. What was the impact of "A Star is Born" on Susan Boyle's career?

"A Star is Born" had a huge impact on Susan Boyle's career. It catapulted her to international fame and she went on to release multiple successful albums and perform in sold-out concerts around the world.

5. Was Susan Boyle involved in the making of "A Star is Born"?

Yes, Susan Boyle was involved in the making of "A Star is Born." She gave her approval for the movie to be made and even appeared in a cameo role as a singing coach in one of the scenes.