Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A star is born - Susan Boyle

1. Apr 14, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2009 #2
    Bravo for Ms.Boyle!

4. Apr 15, 2009 #3
    haha honestly I near teared up

5. Apr 15, 2009 #4

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You go girl! nice :biggrin:

6. Apr 15, 2009 #5
    Finally, someone with talent on a talent show.

7. Apr 15, 2009 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

8. Apr 15, 2009 #7
    and she wasn't even trying

9. Apr 15, 2009 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

...and the then 11 year old Bianca Ryan

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4brcjR8Wuk

10. Apr 15, 2009 #9

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Susan Boyle - WOW!!!

Only 11?!?!?! She can belt it out!

11. Apr 15, 2009 #10

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Luckily, I'm not a complete cynic, but ... I'd suspect that there was a scripted aspect to the performance on the part of the judges and the show, in that the producers must have screened these people and knew full well that she has a talented voice, (she definitely has a rich and soulful voice), and they simply played it with the back stage Dumb and Dumber guys being in on the thing.

12. Apr 15, 2009 #11
    Perhaps the British version of the show is better than the American version. Connie's very cute and talented, but I think she butchered the song. I think she's too young, but maybe she'll do better when she's seven. Pol Pot, although talented enough, picked a singing style that requires more talent than he has.

13. Apr 15, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Perhaps, but she was genuine [almost painfully so :biggrin:], as was the audience reaction. In just a few moments, I would guess on the eighth note, a star was born. It is fun to see it happen.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  14. Apr 15, 2009 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Indeed!

Check out her Janice Joplin routine; incredible!!! Allegedly she taught herself how to sing.

15. Apr 15, 2009 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I've seen several clips of her on the news now. Very impressive voice. Though, there was a clip of her being interviewed on some news show afterward, and she looked quite a lot better in the interview...someone has already helped clean up her appearance...she had a nicer haircut and her eyebrows were plucked/waxed/thinned/something. That's really what gave her such a harsh look were those bushy eyebrows and wildly curly hair. I almost wonder if she exaggerated her appearance to seem worse just to make a point.

16. Apr 15, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

She says that not only has she never been married, she's never even been kissed.

17. Apr 15, 2009 #16
    First thing comes to my mind whenever I watch these things :rofl:. I guess that's how they run their business.

Her voice was beautiful without doubt. But, her attitude and their surprising looks looked fake to me :(

18. Apr 16, 2009 #17
    At a similar juncture in history, she outsings Kate Smith.

19. Apr 16, 2009 #18
    See, I don't exactly get that sentiment. Well, I do, to a point. But not everyone with a talented singing voice is physically beautiful or stylishly coiffed and glued together. And that's rather the point. Why couldn't she be real as she is and be possessed of massive talent?

I kind of like not being cynical all the time. It may be a failing of mine, but the world's a little nicer place for it.

20. Apr 16, 2009 #19

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I don't think the judges are good enough actors to fake it, but they almost certainly were set up. Unlike with American Idol, the judges don't do the initial screening in that show (i think).

21. Apr 17, 2009 #20

neu

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2009/apr/16/britains-got-talent-susan-boyle

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook