A star located 135 degrees from the solar apex on the celestial sphere

In summary, the conversation is about finding the relationship between radial velocity and angular separation from the solar apex for a star located 135 degrees from the solar apex on the celestial sphere. The person asking the question is also seeking assistance in solving the problem.
ek
I posted this in the homework help section but got no responses so I thought I'd try posting it here.

I want the answer to the question, but really I'm looking for the relationship between the values.

Q: A star located 135 degrees from the solar apex on the celestial sphere is at rest in the LSR 15pc from the sun, whose radial velocity with respect to the sun may be taken to be 20km/s. As seen from the sun, (a) what is the star's radial velocity; (b) how many seconds of arc will this star appear to move on the celestial sphere in ten years; (c) in what direction will it move

So really what I'm asking here is what the relationship between radial velocity and angular separation from the solar apex is and how to apply that to parts b and c.

Thanks for any assistance.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You probably know the standard solar motion with respect to the LSR (I am sure this value can be found in internet). Then you should find out the difference between both vectors. I am sorry but I am not familiar with this kind of exercises, however, it seams to me that 135 degrees from the solar apex is not a complete description of the stars coordinates which allows answering these questions.

1. What is the significance of a star located 135 degrees from the solar apex on the celestial sphere?

A star located 135 degrees from the solar apex on the celestial sphere is significant because it is located in the opposite direction of the Sun's motion through the Milky Way galaxy. This is known as the antapex and it is the point in the sky where the Sun appears to be moving away from.

2. How is the solar apex determined?

The solar apex is determined by calculating the average direction of motion of stars in the Milky Way galaxy. This is done by measuring the proper motions (apparent motion on the sky) and radial velocities (motion towards or away from Earth) of a large number of stars and finding the average direction of their motion.

3. What does the 135 degree angle represent in relation to the solar apex?

The 135 degree angle represents the angle between the direction of the solar apex and the position of the star. This angle is measured on the celestial sphere, which is an imaginary sphere surrounding the Earth, with the Earth at its center and the stars at its surface.

4. Is the distance from the solar apex to the star constant?

No, the distance from the solar apex to the star is not constant. It may vary depending on the actual location of the star within the Milky Way galaxy and its motion through space. However, the angle of 135 degrees from the solar apex will remain constant as long as the star's position and the solar apex's position do not change.

5. How is the solar apex used in astronomical research?

The solar apex is used in astronomical research to study the motion and structure of the Milky Way galaxy. By determining the direction and speed of the solar apex, scientists can gain insights into the overall motion of stars and gas within the galaxy, as well as its shape and size. This information can also help us understand the formation and evolution of our galaxy.