Solving Star's Temperature: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, a star's temperature can be measured using a spectrophotometer, which measures the intensity of different wavelengths of light emitted by the star. The units used to measure a star's temperature are Kelvin or degrees Celsius, but astronomers often use a unit called Solar Temperature (T<sub>eff</sub>). The color of a star and the peak wavelength measured by a spectrophotometer can indicate its temperature. The main factors that affect a star's temperature are its mass, age, and chemical composition. Accurate temperature measurements are important for understanding a star's physical properties and its impact on the universe, as well as identifying potential exoplanet candidates and their potential habitability.
adichy

Homework Statement

Consider a star with a density distribution ⍴ = ⍴_0(R/r), where R is the star’s outer radius. The star’s
luminosity is L, and all of its energy is generated in a small region near r = 0. Outside that region the heat flow is constant.

a) Find the surface temperature of the star T_s assuming a black body.
b) Assuming the opacity is dominated by electron scattering at all radii (i.e., a constant κ_es), solve for the temperature as a function of radius inside the star, excluding the energy-generating region.
(Hint: the algebra will be easier if you rewrite the heat flow in terms of Ts.)

Homework Equations

L=AσT^4
L=M^3.5 (not too sure about this one)

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
Im given a density profile and so i find the mass

m(r)=∫4πR2ρ_0 (R/r)dr (since we're finding the surface temperature I figured the limits will be from 0→R
therefore M=2πR3ρ0

then I sub in the the 2 equations in the relevant equations part and M from above:
L=Aσ(T^4)=M^3.5=(2πR3ρ0)^3.5
and then rearrange to find T (I don't get anything simple/neat so that throws me off a little)

Im wondering if this method is wrong in tackling this problem.

b)
im lost on this part of the question, any help will be appreciated

thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
adichy said:
L=M^3.5 (not too sure about this one)
Do the units make sense?

adichy said:
L=Aσ(T^4)=M^3.5=(2πR3ρ0)^3.5
In that equation, what is A? What is σ?

Im missing some units, in which case L ∝ M^3.5
I was quoting the mass-luminosity relation M/M_solar =(L/L_solar)^a, what i wasnt sure about was using a=3.5 since there is not information regarding the type of star.
A is the surface area of the star=4piR^2 and σ is the stefan Boltzmann constant

adichy said:
A is the surface area of the star=4piR^2 and σ is the stefan Boltzmann constant
Then you got all you need to calculate ##T##.

For part b, use the temperature gradient and treat the opacity as a constant.

fairymath said:
For part b, use the temperature gradient and treat the opacity as a constant.
Please do not revive dead threads. The OP hasn't been here in almost three years.

Thread closed.

1. How do you measure a star's temperature?

A star's temperature can be measured using a device called a spectrophotometer. This instrument measures the intensity of different wavelengths of light emitted by the star, and the peak wavelength corresponds to its temperature.

2. What units are used to measure a star's temperature?

A star's temperature is typically measured in units of Kelvin (K) or degrees Celsius (°C). However, astronomers often use a unit called the Solar Temperature (Teff), which is equal to the temperature of the Sun's surface (5,778 K).

3. How can you tell if a star is hotter or cooler than the Sun?

The color of a star can give clues about its temperature. Hotter stars tend to appear bluer while cooler stars appear redder. Additionally, the peak wavelength measured by a spectrophotometer can also indicate a star's temperature, with shorter wavelengths corresponding to hotter temperatures.

4. What are the main factors that affect a star's temperature?

The main factors that affect a star's temperature include its mass, age, and chemical composition. More massive stars tend to have higher temperatures, while older stars may have lower temperatures due to the depletion of their nuclear fuel. The chemical composition of a star also plays a role, as different elements can absorb and emit light at different temperatures.

5. Why is it important to accurately measure a star's temperature?

Studying a star's temperature can provide crucial information about its physical properties, such as its size, luminosity, and evolutionary stage. This information is essential for understanding the life cycle of stars and their impact on the universe. Accurate temperature measurements also help in identifying potential exoplanet candidates and determining their potential habitability.