1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A statistical question

1. Feb 17, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Can someone tell me when testing for independence using chi square tests, why is the expected frequency of a cell is denoted by the formula
    $$ \frac{\sum row * \sum column}{\sum total } \ $$

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is this a human cell or a plant cell ? Or perhaps an excell ? :smile: Some more description might make your question a bit clearer, perhaps ?

4. Feb 17, 2017 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In a two-way table, if ##R_i## is the total number in row ##i## and ##C_j## the total number in column ##j## then ##f_i = R_i/N## is the estimated probability of the event for row ##i## and ##g_j = C_j/N## is the estimated probability of the event for column ##j##. Here, ##N = \sum_i R_i = \sum_j C_j## is the total number of observations. Under the hypothesis of independence between rows and columns, the estimated probabilty of the cell ##(i,j)## is ##\bar{p}_{ij} = f_i \,g_j = R_i C_j/N^2.## Thus, the expected frequency of cell ##(i,j)## is ##E_{ij} = N \bar{p}_{ij} = R_i C_j/N.##

5. Feb 17, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The null hypothesis is that the two attributes are independent. Call the attributes A (rows representing A and not A) and B (columns representing B and not B). If they are independent then the fraction having attribute A multiplied by the fraction having attribute B should approximately equal the fraction having attributes A and B. I.e. #(A & B) / total = ( #A / total)*( #B /total), so #(A & B) = #A * #B / total.

6. Feb 17, 2017 #5
    Shouldn't it be ##N = \sum_i R_i + \sum_j C_j##

7. Feb 17, 2017 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No. Try it for yourself on a simple example:
    $$\begin{array}{ccc|l}
    & & &\text{tot.} \\ \hline
    1 & 2 & 3 &6\\
    4 & 5 & 6 & 15 \\
    7 & 8 & 9 & 24\\ \hline
    12 & 15 & 18 & 45\; \leftarrow \text{totals}
    \end{array}
    $$

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted