Proof of Integrability for Bounded and Integrable Function

In summary, the author was unable to represent their step function using summation notation and expanding it, and as a result was not able to work with the equations. They were then helped by a TA, and after some work were able to show that the lower integral and the upper integral are equal and that the function is integrable.
brh2113

Homework Statement

Let [tex]f[/tex] be a function that is integrable on [tex][a,b][/tex] and bounded by
[tex]0[/tex] [tex]\leq f(x)\leq M[/tex] for some [tex]M[/tex]. Prove that [tex]f^{2}[/tex] is also integrable on this interval.

Homework Equations

We've done many problems with step functions [tex]s(x)[/tex][tex]\leq f(x) \leq t(x)[/tex],

where [tex]s(x)[/tex] and [tex]t(x)[/tex] are step functions. Then we've defined a

function's lower integral as the supremum of the set of the values of all [tex]\int_a^b s(x)dx[/tex]

provided that [tex]s(x)[/tex] [tex]\leq f(x)[/tex] and the function's upper integral as the

infimum of the set of all [tex]\int_a^bt(x)dx[/tex] provided that

[tex]f(x)[/tex] [tex]\leq t(x)[/tex] on [tex][a,b][/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached is my work. It's a little sloppy, so I'll explain what I tried here:

I first tried using the weighted mean value theorem, but all that that does is show that [tex]f^{2}[/tex] is bounded.

I then drew a line and tried again. However, I've realized that my definition of the step functions is faulty because the function is not monotonic, so the second attempt is wrong. As a result, I've been unable to represent my step functions more explicitly using summation notation and expanding it, so I haven't been able to work with the equations. There must be something I'm missing.

If the function were continuous, then I'd know that [tex]f^{2}[/tex] is continuous and I'd be done, but unfortunately it is not.

The only thing I know is that [tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex] is bounded and exists, and so [tex]\int_a^b f(x)^{2}dx[/tex] is also bounded.

Again, if I can show that the lower integral and the upper integral are equal, then by our definition I will have proven that the function is integrable.

Attachments

• Math.jpg
    Math.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 428
Physics news on Phys.org
Since f is positive, f2 is monotonic. So s < f < t implies s2 < f2 < t2.

Unfortunately f is not monotonic, since it is not continuous. For example, f(a) could equal 5, and f(b) = 3, when a<b, provided that 3 and 5 are less than M. Moreover, f^2 is neither continuous nor monotonic, but I think I can assert that inequality.

Still, it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Because the function is not monotonic, I cannot write my summation notation explicitly enough that it can be expanded and canceled to show that the difference between the supremum of s and the infimum of t is 0.

I appreciate the help, though. I spent about an hour today working with a T.A. with summation notation, but we ended up getting nowhere. It's possible that that's necessary, but I'm wondering if there's a simpler way to do it.

I meant that f^2 is monotonic with respect to f, or "square" operation is a monotone transformation. I did not realize that you couldn't represent f as a step function so I was taking it as a given.

You need to think what the term "integrable" exactly means.

Last edited:
Oh monotone transformation. I'm not familiar with that term, but I think I understand what you're saying to mean that each value of f^2 corresponds to one value of f?

Anyways, I do agree with that inequality, and with the help of a TA in one of my classes I managed to work out the problem. Thanks again for the help; it's much appreciated.

It says in the instructions that I should edit the topic using the Thread Tools to say "Solved," but I can't see any option under thread tools to change the name. Can someone tell me through a message how to do this?

1. What is a step function proof?

A step function proof is a mathematical proof that uses a series of steps, or discrete intervals, to show that a statement is true. This is commonly used in calculus and analysis to prove the convergence or divergence of a function.

2. How is a step function proof different from other types of proofs?

Unlike other types of proofs that use continuous functions or equations, a step function proof breaks down the function into smaller, discrete intervals. This makes it easier to analyze and prove the behavior of the function.

3. What are the key components of a step function proof?

The key components of a step function proof include the definition of the function, the intervals used, and the limits of the intervals. These components are used to show the behavior of the function and prove the statement.

4. When is a step function proof used?

A step function proof is commonly used in calculus and analysis to prove the convergence or divergence of a function. It can also be used to prove other statements involving functions, such as continuity or differentiability.

5. What are the benefits of using a step function proof?

One of the main benefits of using a step function proof is that it simplifies the analysis of a function by breaking it down into smaller, discrete intervals. This makes it easier to prove statements about the function and understand its behavior. Additionally, step function proofs are often used in real-world applications, making them a useful tool for scientists and mathematicians.