1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Step Function Proof

1. Oct 10, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [tex]f[/tex] be a function that is integrable on [tex][a,b][/tex] and bounded by
    [tex]0[/tex] [tex]\leq f(x)\leq M[/tex] for some [tex]M[/tex]. Prove that [tex]f^{2}[/tex] is also integrable on this interval.

2. Relevant equations
    We've done many problems with step functions [tex]s(x)[/tex][tex]\leq f(x) \leq t(x)[/tex],

where [tex]s(x)[/tex] and [tex]t(x)[/tex] are step functions. Then we've defined a

function's lower integral as the supremum of the set of the values of all [tex]\int_a^b s(x)dx[/tex]

provided that [tex]s(x)[/tex] [tex]\leq f(x)[/tex] and the function's upper integral as the

infimum of the set of all [tex]\int_a^bt(x)dx[/tex] provided that

[tex]f(x)[/tex] [tex]\leq t(x)[/tex] on [tex][a,b][/tex].

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached is my work. It's a little sloppy, so I'll explain what I tried here:

I first tried using the weighted mean value theorem, but all that that does is show that [tex]f^{2}[/tex] is bounded.

I then drew a line and tried again. However, I've realized that my definition of the step functions is faulty because the function is not monotonic, so the second attempt is wrong. As a result, I've been unable to represent my step functions more explicitly using summation notation and expanding it, so I haven't been able to work with the equations. There must be something I'm missing.

If the function were continuous, then I'd know that [tex]f^{2}[/tex] is continuous and I'd be done, but unfortunately it is not.

The only thing I know is that [tex]\int_a^b f(x)dx[/tex] is bounded and exists, and so [tex]\int_a^b f(x)^{2}dx[/tex] is also bounded.

Again, if I can show that the lower integral and the upper integral are equal, then by our definition I will have proven that the function is integrable.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2007 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Since f is positive, f2 is monotonic. So s < f < t implies s2 < f2 < t2.

4. Oct 10, 2007 #3
    Unfortunately f is not monotonic, since it is not continuous. For example, f(a) could equal 5, and f(b) = 3, when a<b, provided that 3 and 5 are less than M. Moreover, f^2 is neither continuous nor monotonic, but I think I can assert that inequality.

Still, it doesn't seem to get me anywhere. Because the function is not monotonic, I cannot write my summation notation explicitly enough that it can be expanded and canceled to show that the difference between the supremum of s and the infimum of t is 0.

I appreciate the help, though. I spent about an hour today working with a T.A. with summation notation, but we ended up getting nowhere. It's possible that that's necessary, but I'm wondering if there's a simpler way to do it.

5. Oct 11, 2007 #4

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I meant that f^2 is monotonic with respect to f, or "square" operation is a monotone transformation. I did not realize that you couldn't represent f as a step function so I was taking it as a given.

You need to think what the term "integrable" exactly means.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  6. Oct 11, 2007 #5
    Oh monotone transformation. I'm not familiar with that term, but I think I understand what you're saying to mean that each value of f^2 corresponds to one value of f?

Anyways, I do agree with that inequality, and with the help of a TA in one of my classes I managed to work out the problem. Thanks again for the help; it's much appreciated.

It says in the instructions that I should edit the topic using the Thread Tools to say "Solved," but I can't see any option under thread tools to change the name. Can someone tell me through a message how to do this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?