1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Step potential question

1. Jun 4, 2004 #1
    Hi...I've come across this question on a past exam, and I can't seem to resolve it!

A particle is incident on a step potential at x=0. The total energy of the particle E, is less then the height of the step, U. The particle has wavefunctions
    [tex]$\begin{array}{l}
    \psi (x) = \frac{1}{2}\{ (1 + i)e^{ikx} + (1 - i)e^{ - ikx} \} ,x \ge 0 \\
    \psi (x) = e^{ - kx} ,x < 0 \\
    \end{array}$
    [/tex]

Note that k is the same on both sides of the step
    a) ….
    b.) How must k be related to E and U on both sides of the step and determine the ration E/U

Well on the left, it is just a free wave-function where k=[tex]$k = \frac{{\sqrt {2mE} }}{\hbar }$
    [/tex]
    On the right k= [tex]$k = i\kappa = \frac{{i\sqrt {2m(U - E)} }}{\hbar }$
    [/tex]
    Since the k’s are equal this immediately implies that U=0, does it not? In which case the ratio E/U is infinite…

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 4, 2004 #2

turin

Homework Helper

No, but you are thinking along the right lines. You have recognized that the requirement on k puts strong restriction on ... something. Attack the problem firstly as if k were different in the two regions, and then see what conditions have to be met so that the wavefunction can be put in the given form. (Biggest hint: Notice that there is an i in the exponent in one region and not in the other.)

One thing I just noticed: it appears to me that the particle is incident from the right so you may have your suggestions backwards.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  4. Jun 5, 2004 #3
    Ok so if I call the region II solution k'
    [tex]$k' = \frac{{\sqrt {2m(E - U)} }}{\hbar }$[/tex]

Since U > E this is complex.
    [tex]$k' = \frac{{i\sqrt {2m(U - E)} }}{\hbar } = i\kappa $
    [/tex]

This leads to the exponential solution
    [tex]$e^{ - \kappa x} $
    [/tex]

If I then impose
    [tex]$\kappa = k$ [/tex] i get
    [tex]$\begin{array}{l}
    \frac{{\sqrt {2mE} }}{\hbar } = \frac{{\sqrt {2m(U - E)} }}{\hbar } \\
    \sqrt E = \sqrt {U - E} \\
    E = U - E \\
    2E = U \\
    E = \frac{U}{2} \\
    \end{array}$
    [/tex]

oh hey...i definatly did that yesterday...musta been dropping a negative somewhere!

Ok, seems my latex sucks but how is E=U/2??

Cheers!

5. Jun 5, 2004 #4

turin

Homework Helper

That was my initial gut feeling about it. Are you asking how it is possible, or are you asking if I think this is correct? I think it is probably correct (without actually combing through your calculations).

6. Jun 6, 2004 #5
    Turin - I don't think I would ever ask if something is possible in QM, per se, since things that seem impossible always seem to fall out of QM! So much more to learn aswell - makes me wonder what other things (classically impossible) will occur

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?