1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Stone Thrown Downward

1. Jan 26, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A person throws a stone vertically downward with an initial speed of 16.0m/s from the roof of a building 58.2m above the ground.
    What velocity does the stone have at impact?

2. Relevant equations

initial x= 58.2m initial vox=16.0m/s ax= 9.81m/s^2 xfinal=0 vx=?

2a(x-xo)=vx^2-vox^2 to find t= 3.88

vx=vox+axt plug in a number including t=3.88 vx= 54.1

3. The attempt at a solution
    2 attempts with only 2 attempts left. Please help

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Simplest way is use nergy conservation: initial kinetic energy + loss of potential energy = final kinetic energy.

Other way: v = v0+ gt
    h = ∫v(t)dt = v0t + gt2/2 & solve for t = time of fall
    h = height of building
    Then stick t into the v equation above.

4. Jan 26, 2013 #3
    I am still confused on how I would plug the numbers because the instructor have me equations with v and x variables. However, are my numbers correct for time=3.88 s and my vx = 54.1 m/s which I'm sure isn't correct. I'm solving for vx

5. Jan 26, 2013 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

t doesn't appear in the equation, so how do you obtain t from it :confused: (Also, that doesn't look like a correct value for t for this situation).

However, you can use that equation to find the final velocity, vx. Rearrange the equation to solve for vx.

6. Jan 27, 2013 #5
    Ok I got it! LIke gneill said, I could rearrange the equation and solve for vx. Thank you all.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook