How Does Adding Nitrogen Affect Pressure in a Sealed Tank?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculations involved in determining the volume and pressure of a storage tank at STP containing 18.5kg of nitrogen. The solution for part a) involved using the formula n= m/molar mass to find the number of moles, and then converting to volume using the fact that 1 mole occupies 22.4 L. For part b), the ideal gas law was used to show that the pressure is proportional to the number of moles when temperature and volume are held constant. The discrepancy in the final answer was due to using the incorrect units for volume (m^3 instead of L) in the calculation.
Myr73

Homework Statement

[/b][/B]

a Storage tank at STP contains 18,5kg of nitrogen (N2). a) What is the volume of the tank? b) What is the pressure if an additional 15.kg of nitrogen is added without changing the temperature.

Homework Equations

n= m/molar mass
P= nRT/V

The Attempt at a Solution

For a) I got n= m/molar mass --> 18.5 X 1000 / 28 = 660.71 mol
1 mole occupies 22.4 L
--> V= 660.71 X 22.4 = 14 799.99 L 14.8 m^3

For b) I have T= 273.15 n= (18.5 +15) x 1000 /28= 1196 mol
i think for some reason V is assumed to be constant and doesn't change so ,
--> P= nRT/V, which gives me 183.44 N/m^2

However in b the answerr is suppose to be 1.83 X10^5 Pa, or 183 X 10^ 3 Pa, ans I thought n/m^2 is the same units as Pa. I would like clarification, thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Myr73 said:
For b) I have T= 273.15 n= (18.5 +15) x 1000 /28= 1196 mol
i think for some reason V is assumed to be constant and doesn't change so ,
--> P= nRT/V, which gives me 183.44 N/m^2
"for some reason"??
Don't you know?!
i.e. does the tank change size?

However in b the answerr is suppose to be 1.83 X10^5 Pa, or 183 X 10^ 3 Pa, ans I thought n/m^2 is the same units as Pa. I would like clarification, thanks
So you are out by a factor of 1000?

Take a closer look at your numbers. Do a dimensional analysis to check the units.
i.e. show me the exact calculation - you missed a term or divided by 1000 when you shouldn;t have or forgot an exponent.

Note: the calculation is easier is you compare the state equations before and after the extra mass is added.

Oh I see, I should have used V in m^3 not in L. Thank you

Regarding Part b: From the ideal gas law, if the temperature and volume are held constant, the pressure is proportional to the number of moles.

Chet

Likes 1 person

I would like to clarify that the units for pressure are indeed Pascal (Pa), which is equivalent to N/m^2. In your calculation, you have correctly used the units of N/m^2, but the answer given in the problem is likely in scientific notation, where 1.83 X 10^5 Pa would be equivalent to 183,000 Pa or 183 kPa. It is important to pay attention to the units and the correct use of scientific notation in order to accurately interpret and communicate scientific data.

1. What is a storage tank at STP?

A storage tank at STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure) is a container designed to hold gases or liquids at a specific temperature and pressure, typically at sea level. The tank is sealed to prevent leaks and maintain the desired conditions inside.

2. What materials are commonly used to construct a storage tank at STP?

Storage tanks at STP are typically constructed using steel, fiberglass, or concrete. These materials are strong and durable, able to withstand the pressure and temperature changes that occur within the tank.

3. How are storage tanks at STP used in industrial applications?

Storage tanks at STP are commonly used in industrial applications to store and transport various substances such as chemicals, fuels, and gases. They are also used in the oil and gas industry to store crude oil and natural gas before they are transported to refineries.

4. How is the pressure inside a storage tank at STP regulated?

The pressure inside a storage tank at STP is regulated by a pressure relief valve. This valve is designed to open and release excess pressure if it exceeds the desired level, preventing the tank from rupturing or exploding.

5. What safety measures should be taken when working with a storage tank at STP?

When working with a storage tank at STP, it is important to follow safety protocols to prevent accidents and injuries. This includes wearing proper protective gear, regularly checking the tank for leaks or damage, and following proper procedures for filling, emptying, and cleaning the tank.