1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A story using Physics - Help!

1. Feb 7, 2010 #1
    A story using Physics -- Help!

hello,

i have to write a story using these terms from physics:

Inertia, weight, mass, gravity, normal force, kinetic friction, static friction, net force, tension,

Other words: elevator, outer space, odious, prevaricate, lepidopterist

i just dont know what kind of setting/event sud i write about where i can use all these words...can some1 help me get started plz...ideas are welcome..thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2010 #2
    Re: A story using Physics -- Help!

Richard McBell desired greatly to construct an elevator to lift his butterfly collection to outer space, because he believed even dead insects should fly forever by using their inertia. Being a lepidopterist, he needed to prevaricate to gain access to the proper scientific equipment used to complete such constructions.

4. Feb 7, 2010 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to the PF. Try going to www.wikipedia.org and searching on space elevator. That will give you something to write about that should give you just about all of your words. What the heck are prevaricate and lepidopterist?

5. Feb 7, 2010 #4

I find your story contains an odious omission! Humph!

6. Feb 7, 2010 #5

berkeman

Do not do the OP's butterfly homework for them! Infractions, infractions! :tongue:

Well, okay, I have a soft spot for butterflies and space elevators...

7. Feb 7, 2010 #6

thank u so much...i'll take it from here...thanks every1..

8. Feb 8, 2010 #7

alright..i'm almost done but need to use just these two words...kinetic friction and static friction...any ideas where to fit tht in?

9. Feb 8, 2010 #8

Well, the first step is to find out what those two terms mean. Have you done that? Also we can't tell you how you fit them in without seeing the story so far. Post what you've done.

10. Feb 8, 2010 #9

I also had to have Newton's 3 laws explained in the story...that's why i mentioned it..but from here on now...should i explain how this experiment will be done or how should i take it on frm here?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2010
  11. Feb 8, 2010 #10

berkeman

That's 4 words. Well, okay, 3 words. :wink:

How is the elevator attached to the cable? Friction would seem to be pretty important to those butterflies...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook