1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A strange pre-test problem

1. Oct 21, 2004 #1

I have a big problem with this simple question. I can manage all the other questions on the paper i got except this one, and it's even one of the easier in there. So please gimme suggestions of what formulas to use:

A person is struggeling his way up a 8 degree hill with the velocity of 12km/h. Calculate the power use. The total mass of him and his bicycle is 75kg. Air resistance and friction is 5,0% of mg.

I tried calculating it with both force laws and energy laws and i end up with the answer 120W (or something i cant remember) but the correct answer should be 0,46kW

Please excuse my bad english, and thanks for the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF!

Show us how you got your answer and we'll give you a hand.
  4. Oct 21, 2004 #3

Unfortunately i've erased the first soultion and i've only got a lot of unreadable panic notes left :P but can u at least tell me what path to use, Energy or Force? Then i think i'll be able to solve it.

Thanks in advance!
  5. Oct 21, 2004 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Both methods should agree. Go ahead and use the "force" method. :smile:
  6. Oct 21, 2004 #5
    I think i'll manage it now, after hours of studying. Got a test tomorrow morning and i got a little scared that i couldn't accomplish a simple task like that. Btw i used the energy method but thanks for the advice :D

take care and good night
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?