Calculating Power Use on a Hill with Air Resistance and Friction

• Thread starter Simonpe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the conversation is about a person who is struggling to solve a question involving calculating power use while riding up a hill. They have tried using both force and energy laws, but have ended up with the incorrect answer. They are seeking help and clarification on which method to use. The conversation ends with the person feeling confident that they will be able to solve the problem after studying and thanking the other person for their advice.
Simonpe
Hi!

I have a big problem with this simple question. I can manage all the other questions on the paper i got except this one, and it's even one of the easier in there. So please gimme suggestions of what formulas to use:

A person is struggeling his way up a 8 degree hill with the velocity of 12km/h. Calculate the power use. The total mass of him and his bicycle is 75kg. Air resistance and friction is 5,0% of mg.

I tried calculating it with both force laws and energy laws and i end up with the answer 120W (or something i can't remember) but the correct answer should be 0,46kW

Please excuse my bad english, and thanks for the help!

Simon

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Show us how you got your answer and we'll give you a hand.

Thanks!

Unfortunately I've erased the first soultion and I've only got a lot of unreadable panic notes left :P but can u at least tell me what path to use, Energy or Force? Then i think i'll be able to solve it.

Thanks in advance!

Both methods should agree. Go ahead and use the "force" method. :smile:

I think i'll manage it now, after hours of studying. Got a test tomorrow morning and i got a little scared that i couldn't accomplish a simple task like that. Btw i used the energy method but thanks for the advice :D

take care and good night

1. What is the purpose of "A strange pre-test problem"?

The purpose of "A strange pre-test problem" is to serve as a test or exercise for students to practice their problem-solving and critical thinking skills in a unique and challenging way.

2. Are there any specific skills or knowledge needed to solve "A strange pre-test problem"?

There are no specific skills or knowledge required to solve "A strange pre-test problem". It is designed to test a person's ability to think creatively and approach problems from different perspectives.

3. How long does it usually take to solve "A strange pre-test problem"?

The time it takes to solve "A strange pre-test problem" varies for each individual. Some may be able to solve it quickly, while others may take longer. The important thing is to approach the problem with patience and persistence.

4. Is "A strange pre-test problem" based on a real-life scenario?

No, "A strange pre-test problem" is usually a hypothetical scenario created to challenge and assess a person's problem-solving skills. However, it may contain elements or concepts that are based on real-life situations.

5. Can "A strange pre-test problem" have more than one solution?

Yes, "A strange pre-test problem" can have multiple solutions. It is designed to encourage individuals to think outside the box and come up with creative solutions to the given problem.