Find a Night Owl to Discuss Physics & Chemistry

In summary, people on here are interested in talking about physics, chemistry, and other topics. There used to be a Java chat room, but it's gone now.
KingNothing
I've always loved talking about physics with people, unfortunately none of my friends are really interested in it at all. Are there any people on here, mainly night owls that go on MSN messenger and would like to talk about physics, chemistry, and those sorts of topics? If so, PM me, it's always nice to talk about common interests.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's hardly a strange request in these parts! :biggrin: Is there a chat feature around here somewhere? It sure would save some folks the trouble of hijacking threads just to chat, and would accommodate those who would rather not do the IM thing.

There used to be a java chat room on the site.

The_Professional said:
There used to be a java chat room on the site.

Has it gone away, or is it still hiding here somewhere? I thought when I first signed on that I had seen a chat room, but don't see one around anymore.

Moonbear said:
Has it gone away, or is it still hiding here somewhere? I thought when I first signed on that I had seen a chat room, but don't see one around anymore.

I've been there once and I don't see it anymore, so I'm assuming it's gone. There was maybe 2-3 people there and nobody was talking.

The_Professional said:
I've been there once and I don't see it anymore, so I'm assuming it's gone. There was maybe 2-3 people there and nobody was talking.

Ahhhhhh~! Bring it back Greg Bernhart! Bring it back! Necromancy! Necromancy!

Noone ever participated unless we had a scheduled chat event.

there is an irc channel right?

edit. nevermind I found it, no one there :mad:

you can enter it at www.physicsforums.com/chat[/URL]

or at irc.sorcery.net #physics

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I think most people here don't understand IRC.

just because we don't understand something doesn't mean we can't spell.

What's to understand? Anyway, I got a cute coffee cup when I clicked on the link. Then it asked me to install software. Sigh. Not tonight. I don't know what size file it needs to install, and I don't want to be sitting around all night not being able to do anything else while it downloads and installs. I think I was in an IRC chat room somewhat recently. I had never been in a place like that before and it was kind of fun (a couple of folks I know on another board set it up so we could chat...they even gave me super spidey powers...um, meaning they made me a moderator, but that put a big spider symbol next to my name. We had great fun just trying to figure out all the commands to do stuff...not a computer geek among us).

Moonbear said:
What's to understand? Anyway, I got a cute coffee cup when I clicked on the link.
Yeah, they're asking you to install "Java," probably either to enable it, or get the runtime environment. Everything on the internet is HTML, JAVA, or Flash pretty much.

I SAID you don't have to spell around us!

Mk said:
Yeah, they're asking you to install "Java," probably either to enable it, or get the runtime environment. Everything on the internet is HTML, JAVA, or Flash pretty much.

No, I have Java installed. It wanted me to install the chat software. I was being silly...it was just slow loading, so I was just staring at that coffee cup for a while.

Is anyone ever in there? Is it worth installing the software?

I gave up chat rooms about 6 years ago. The chat goes by too fast, you miss something, then the person yells at you for not responding, you explain that you must have missed what they wrote, so they tell you to "scroll up", while you're scrolling up looking for the stupid message, you miss someone else's message...AAAGHHH! I would end up making everyone except one or two people invisible.

No thanks.

enigma said:
Noone ever participated unless we had a scheduled chat event.

Maybe we should have more of those?

Evo said:
I gave up chat rooms about 6 years ago. The chat goes by too fast, you miss something, then the person yells at you for not responding, you explain that you must have missed what they wrote, so they tell you to "scroll up", while you're scrolling up looking for the stupid message, you miss someone else's message...AAAGHHH! I would end up making everyone except one or two people invisible.

No thanks.

My first adventure into a chat room went a bit like that. I had barely read one person's reply, and someone else's would pop up, and I wasn't sure how they were all following the conversations and typing so quickly. I just kind of sat there, befuddled. It sure did improve my typing skills. You have to be able to touch type...fast...to follow chat rooms. But I also stuck with rooms with 30-somethings (even when I wasn't quite 30 yet) because they weren't nasty like the rooms I've seen with mostly younger people in them.

It's a bit off topic now, but I used to go to a physics channel on irc.freenode.net, which I'm pretty sure was just #physics. A lot of people go in there, so you won't need to worry about idleness and the majority of the people know what they're talking about. (I'm also pretty sure there are channels on Freenode for other sciences such as biology, chemistry, and math.)

Moonbear,it may be that it was trying to install the java applet for chatting .Normally it shouldn't take too long.For eg:Yahoo chess applet (a huge one) take 1.5-2 min for loading in a 96Kbps connection

poolwin2001 said:
Moonbear,it may be that it was trying to install the java applet for chatting .Normally it shouldn't take too long.For eg:Yahoo chess applet (a huge one) take 1.5-2 min for loading in a 96Kbps connection

Perhaps. I just didn't want to bog down my computer tonight if it turned out to be a larger file, since it wouldn't tell me the file size before I decided yes or no. If folks in there are talking hardcore physics, I'm probably not going to want to spend much time there anyway. I was thinking more along the lines of something quicker than PMs for a few people to converse off-topic without having to use IM.

1. How can I find a night owl to discuss physics and chemistry with?

There are a few ways you can find a night owl to discuss physics and chemistry with. One option is to join online communities or forums related to these subjects and reach out to members who are active during nighttime hours. Another option is to attend local meetups or events focused on science and networking with attendees. You can also ask friends or colleagues if they know anyone who shares your interest in discussing physics and chemistry at night.

2. What are the benefits of discussing physics and chemistry with a night owl?

Discussing physics and chemistry with a night owl can bring a fresh perspective and new ideas to the conversation. Night owls often have a different way of thinking and may approach problems or concepts in a unique way. They may also have a deeper understanding and passion for these subjects, making for engaging and insightful discussions.

3. How can I ensure productive discussions with a night owl about physics and chemistry?

To ensure productive discussions, it is important to establish clear goals and objectives for the conversation. This can help guide the discussion and keep it focused. It is also important to listen actively and respectfully to the night owl's ideas and perspectives. Additionally, taking breaks and breaks from the conversation can help prevent burnout and allow for time to reflect on the topics being discussed.

4. Are there any specific topics or areas of physics and chemistry that night owls may be more interested in?

While this may vary from person to person, night owls may be more interested in topics that are abstract or complex in nature. They may also be drawn to theories and concepts that challenge conventional thinking. Additionally, some night owls may have a particular interest in niche areas of physics and chemistry that are less commonly discussed.

5. Is it better to discuss physics and chemistry at night compared to during the day?

There is no definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on personal preference and individual circumstances. Some people may find that they are more alert and focused at night, making for more productive discussions. Others may prefer discussing these subjects during the day when they are well-rested and have more energy. It is important to find what works best for you and your discussion partner.