Is There a Mistake in These Differential Equation Notes?

• Thread starter snowJT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Strange
In summary, the conversation discusses the simplification of the fraction \frac{x-y}{2x} to \frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{y}{x}) and the confusion around the unnecessary introduction of a factor of 2 in the process. The conversation also touches on the use of the rule a/b+c/d=(ad+bc)/bd and the importance of understanding the underlying principles behind mathematical procedures. Additionally, there is a humorous anecdote shared about misunderstanding algebra at a young age.
snowJT
I was copying notes in class down, now that class just ended, I was reading over the notes, and I saw this line that went from...

THIS:
[tex]\frac{x-y}{2x} = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

To THIS:
[tex]\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{y}{x}) = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

But I'm wondering... wouldn't It be this?

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(x-\frac{y}{x}) = \frac{dy}{dx}[/tex]

if not.. how come?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Do you think that:
[tex]\frac{7-2}{7}=7-\frac{2}{7}[/tex]??

[tex]\frac{x-y}{2x} = \frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{x}{x} - \frac{y}{x}\right) = \frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{y}{x})[/tex]

thanks, I see it like that; however, when you try and multiply it back...

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{y}{x})= \frac{1}{2}-\frac{y}{2x}[/tex]

no?

That is correct. So?

Yes, but you can't multiply it back to get [tex]\frac{x}{x}[/tex] to get [tex]\frac{x-y}{2x}[/tex]

What...?

well...

I don't think this makes sense... because how can you get x back when you go from this

[tex]\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{y}{x})[/tex]

to this:

[tex]\frac{1}{2}\left(\frac{x}{x} - \frac{y}{x}\right)[/tex] <-- x over x appears from 1 over 1 which doesn't make sense

Last edited:
So you're saying that 2 divided by 2 is not 1?

no, I'm saying you can't get x when you go backwards

snowJT said:
no, I'm saying you can't get x when you go backwards

I don't know what your mean. This can be simplified as [tex]\frac{1}{2}(1-\frac{y}{x})=\frac{1}{2}-\frac{y}{2x}=\frac{2x-2y}{4x}=\frac{x-y}{2x}[/tex]

What's wrong with that?

thanks... that cleared it up well, I see it thanks... there were some other people here beside me at school who wern't getting it too, but now they do too, lol

@cristo: what's wrong is that you needlessly introduce extra factors of 2 for no reason.
@snowJT: you were taught in elementary school or primary school, or some time before the age of 11 to put things over a common denominator, i.e. that a/b + c/d = (ad+bc)/bd, so use it, but sensibly so that you don't introduce unnecessary factors that are going to cancel out later. You are just adding together fractions. That is something you have been doing for years.

matt grime said:
@cristo: what's wrong is that you needlessly introduce extra factors of 2 for no reason.

How is that wrong? Clearly I know that the factor of two was included unnecessarily, but since the OP could not see the answer, I expanded out the fraction fully, then used the rule that he would be familiar with, namely that a/b+c/d=(ad+bc)/bd.

I understand your point, but sometimes, when someone doesn't see what is going on, it is *simpler* to follow rules that they will know, and then simplify later. Skipping steps, in this case, may have added confusion.

"Putting things over a common denominator" should be well known from the age of *insert age when you learn what a fraction is*, and knowing that that if you have denominators 2x and 2 then you need only 2x shuold be clear if you explain that is all you're doing. Of course, multipling the 1/2 in is the real culprit here.

haha I know this is kinda random, but i remember when I was like 3 and my sister said she was learning algebra at school, and asked me what a+a was, i was convinecd it was b :D

it's not b

cristo said:
How is that wrong? Clearly I know that the factor of two was included unnecessarily, but since the OP could not see the answer, I expanded out the fraction fully, then used the rule that he would be familiar with, namely that a/b+c/d=(ad+bc)/bd.

I found it interesting that the OP could understand the algebra when cristo included the redundant factor but could not understand it previously.

It seems to be a case of OP not being able to grasp that 1/2 = x/2x but still being able to use the "method of cross multiplication" to add fractions. I think this implies that he was taught how to do things but not why those procedures work. Sad.

Gib Z said:
haha I know this is kinda random, but i remember when I was like 3 and my sister said she was learning algebra at school, and asked me what a+a was, i was convinecd it was b :D

Haha that's very funny, everyone knows that it's really a + 1 that equals b. :tongue:

uart said:
Haha that's very funny, everyone knows that it's really a + 1 that equals b. :tongue:

That's actually true if you're talkling in ASCII. :biggrin:

1. What is a strange simplification?

A strange simplification refers to a phenomenon in science where a complex system or concept is reduced to a simpler form, often resulting in unexpected or counterintuitive outcomes.

2. How does a strange simplification occur?

There are various ways in which a strange simplification can occur, but it is usually a result of oversimplifying or overlooking important factors in a system or concept.

3. Can a strange simplification be beneficial?

Yes, a strange simplification can lead to new insights and discoveries in science. It can also make complex ideas more accessible and easier to understand for a wider audience.

4. What are some examples of a strange simplification in science?

One example is the concept of gravity, which was simplified by Isaac Newton's laws of motion. Another example is the structure of the atom, which was simplified by Niels Bohr's atomic model.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of a strange simplification?

A strange simplification can lead to oversimplification and misunderstanding of a system or concept. It can also hinder progress in science by limiting our understanding of complex phenomena.