1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Strömgren sphere and neutral time

1. May 15, 2009 #1

TFM

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A Strömgren sphere is the ionized region surrounding a strong ionizing source. Its size is determined by there being a balance between the rate of ionization and the rate of recombination. Consider such a sphere of radius [tex]R_S[/tex] = 10 pc and internal density [tex]n_e = 10^6 m^{-3}[/tex], and with a central ionizing source of [tex]10^{49} photons s^{−1}[/tex].

a)

How long will it take to become neutral once the ionising star has switched off?

b)

Suppose that the sphere expands at a rate equal to the sound speed in a 10^4 K gas. How long will it take to expand to a radius of 100 pc? ([tex]v_s^2\approx 3kT/m_H[/tex])

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Okay I have done part b), getting an answer of about 5.6 million years, but I have a small query regarding part a).

I know that the charge loss will be [tex]10^49 atoms s^{-1} [/tex]
    because this is the photon rate when it is in equilibrium, which means this rate is equal to the rate at which atoms become neutral. I also know that I need to work out the volume of the sphere, and thus the number of particles in it.

However, i am slightly uncertain how to work out how many particles are actually ionised before the star is turned off.

?

Thanks in advanced,

TFM

Last edited: May 15, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted