1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A strong version of Dominated Convergence Theorem - Real Analysis

1. Nov 24, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let [itex](g_{n})_{n \in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] a sequence functions integrable over [itex]\mathbb{R}^{p}[/itex] such that:
    [itex]g_{n} (x) \longrightarrow g(x)[/itex] almost everywhere in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{p}[/itex], where [itex]g[/itex] is a function integrable over [itex]\mathbb{R}^{p}[/itex].
    Given [itex](f_{n})_{n \in \mathbb{N}}[/itex] a sequence of functions measurable over [itex]\mathbb{R}^{p}[/itex] such that:
    [itex]| f_{n} | \leq g_{n}[/itex], for all [itex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/itex] and [itex]f_{n}(x) \longrightarrow f(x)[/itex] a.e in [itex]\mathbb{R}^{p}[/itex], prove that:
    [itex]\displaystyle \int_{R^{p}} g(x) dx = \lim_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \int_{\mathbb{R}^{p}} g_{n} (x) dx \Longrightarrow \displaystyle \int_{R^{p}} f(x) dx = \lim_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \int_{\mathbb{R}^{p}} f_{n} (x) dx [/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried to [itex]g_{n} - | f_{n} |[/itex] as a sequence of nonnegative functions, but I need the sequence to be an increasing sequence to be able to apply Beppo-Levi's theorem.

Fatou's lemma didn't help me neither:

[itex] \displaystyle \int g-|f|\leq \liminf_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \int g_{n} - |f_{n}| [/itex]
    [itex] \displaystyle \int - | f | \leq \liminf_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \int - | f_{n} | [/itex]
    [itex] \limsup_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \int |f_{n}| \leq \displaystyle \int |f |[/itex]
    And by Fatou's lemma:
    [itex] \displaystyle \int | f | \leq \liminf_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \int |f_{n}| [/itex]
    As [itex] \liminf \leq \limsup [/itex] both limits are the same and
    [itex] \lim_{n \to \infty} \displaystyle \int |f_{n}| = \displaystyle \int |f | [/itex]

Instead of using [itex]| f |[/itex] I could use [itex] f^{+} [/itex] and [itex] f^{-} [/itex] and prove the theorem?

I couldn't solve this problem in weeks, I was going to post it to get some help and I only tried to do it once more because I don't like to have to read my handwrite to transcribe it to the PC and I wanted to show that I really tried but it appears that I finally did it, it's not the first time that the exercise of writing it in this forum made me solve a problem, but this time I'm posting it anyway because I'm not sure if my proof is correct.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?