A stupid question but I have to ask it

• Thread starter HossamCFD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stupid
In summary: Other. So, if you are Egyptian, you would be considered Arab. If you are not Egyptian, you would be considered another ethnicity. Then the term is really a misnomer. I wonder what necessitated this euphemism for black.In summary, Arabs are considered one of the second-level options for ethnicity on the UK census. This is because Egypt is geographically considered to be in the Middle East.
HossamCFD
Hi all,

So I am applying for Ph.D in a few universities. In the application form I am asked for my ethnicity. I am an Arab (Egyptian) but I can't find such ethnicity in the list to choose from. What should I choose ? I think I am not black nor white and definitely not Asian or Hispanic. Should I just choose 'other' or are Arabs considered one of those ethnicity ?

Sorry if the question is stupid, but I really need an answer

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your race would be white, or black depending on your family tree, but your ethnicity would be Arab.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Your race would be white, but your ethnicity would be Arab.

Thanks !

I don't really understand the difference. The application asks only about ethnicity not race. So, is it better to choose white or other ? I am afraid they consider me as providing misleading information if there is no agreement about this.

Is it compulsory to fill in? You may not even have to. If you do I would just tick other and give a description you prefer if there is a space provided.

cobalt124 said:
Is it compulsory to fill in? You may not even have to. If you do I would just tick other and give a description you prefer if there is a space provided.

Well, it is compulsory (the application wouldn't proceed to the next checklist unless answer is provided). Also there is no space for description.

I think I am just going to write 'other' as you said.

Would it be African-American?

I believe Arabs are considered Caucasian.

skeptic2 said:
Would it be African-American?

I am not American. I am of course African in the geographical sense but I am not sure if this is the same as ethnicity.

HossamCFD said:
Well, it is compulsory (the application wouldn't proceed to the next checklist unless answer is provided). Also there is no space for description.

I think I am just going to write 'other' as you said.
Other may be the best option since there is no telling what the person you end up dealing with believes.

lisab said:

It seems that you are right. However, I just checked 'other' in the list to avoid confusion. Thanks

lisab said:

An African-American can't be caucasian?

skeptic2 said:
An African-American can't be caucasian?
No, the term applies to black people. Of course with all of the inter-racial breeding, the lines that used to determine race is in many cases so blurred that many people can pick which race they fall in or claim to be of multiple races.

Egypt is geographically considered caucasion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mediterranean_race#Racial_theories

Then the term is really a misnomer. I wonder what necessitated this euphemism for black.

i forget what i put on my university application this time. it's not a question we are required to answer. well, at least the answer can be "no answer". i think i might have put "other" this time, but "none of your g.d. business" may have been it, too.

Proton Soup said:
i forget what i put on my university application this time. it's not a question we are required to answer. well, at least the answer can be "no answer". i think i might have put "other" this time, but "none of your g.d. business" may have been it, too.
:rofl:

Proton Soup said:

That's exactly how I feel. When I was applying to summer internships, answering the question was optional for all except for one. On that one I just picked "other" even though one of the others better described me.

On the census, I picked "other" and wrote in "human." I don't understand everybody's obsession with race.

Proton Soup said:

My preferred answer too.

Evo said:
Egypt is geographically considered caucasion.

It may depend who is doing the considering. The recent UK census split ethnc groups into two levels. The top level groups were
White
Mixed/multiple ethnic groups
Asian/Asian British
Black/African/Caribbean/Black British
Other

Each group had several second-level options, plus a "write-in" option.

"Arab" was a second-level option under "Other"

I always end up being a million different things for these surveys. >.>

What does "A stupid question but I have to ask it" mean?

The phrase "A stupid question but I have to ask it" is often used as a disclaimer before asking a potentially embarrassing or obvious question. It acknowledges that the question may not be the most intelligent or well thought-out, but the asker still wants an answer.

Why do people use the phrase "A stupid question but I have to ask it"?

People use this phrase to acknowledge that they are aware their question may not be the most well-informed or intelligent, but they still want an answer. It can also be a way to disarm potential judgment or criticism from others.

Is there really such a thing as a stupid question?

Some people argue that there is no such thing as a stupid question because asking questions is a valuable way to learn and gain knowledge. However, others may argue that there are certain questions that are unnecessary or could easily be answered through a quick internet search.

What should I do if I feel like I have to ask a stupid question?

If you feel like you have to ask a question that you consider to be potentially "stupid," it's important to remember that asking questions is a valuable way to learn and understand. Don't be afraid to ask, and try to phrase the question in a way that is respectful and clear.

How can I avoid asking "stupid" questions?

The best way to avoid asking questions that may be considered "stupid" is to do your own research beforehand. Use reliable sources to gather information and try to come up with specific, well-thought-out questions. If you're still unsure, it's always better to ask and learn than to stay silent and miss out on valuable knowledge.