A sub-field of relatively employable applied/experimental physics

• Thread starter wj2cho
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the person is a rising sophomore majoring in physics and wishes to pursue a doctorate degree in applied/experimental physics. They are also concerned about employability and have experience in programming. However, they are color-blind and are worried about how this may affect their options. The conversation concludes that being color-blind should not be a major issue in pursuing a career in physics.
wj2cho
Hello,

I am a rising sophomore at university majoring in physics. Since high school and through university lectures and labs, I have discovered that applied/experimental physics is my cup of tea and I wish to pursue a doctorate degree. But also, I do not wish to be drowning with debts after I graduate, so I would rather pursue a sub-field that is relatively employable since I enjoy all physics. I have taken programming courses in Python and C and will take C++ and get some hands-on experience for programming for experiments.

Here's one problem. I am color-blind. I did not choose electrical engineering because I could not read the colors of resistor bands with certainty. Will this exclude any of the possible options?

Physics news on Phys.org
when you study in physics is there a problem? because you partially color blind?

wj2cho said:
Hello,

I am a rising sophomore at university majoring in physics. Since high school and through university lectures and labs, I have discovered that applied/experimental physics is my cup of tea and I wish to pursue a doctorate degree. But also, I do not wish to be drowning with debts after I graduate, so I would rather pursue a sub-field that is relatively employable since I enjoy all physics. I have taken programming courses in Python and C and will take C++ and get some hands-on experience for programming for experiments.

Here's one problem. I am color-blind. I did not choose electrical engineering because I could not read the colors of resistor bands with certainty. Will this exclude any of the possible options?

Read this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

Being color blind is not an issue at all.

Zz.

really ? many experiment in physics its make me scare

wj2cho said:
I did not choose electrical engineering because I could not read the colors of resistor bands with certainty. Will this exclude any of the possible options?

I am "somewhat" colour blind and I finished the electronic engineering course without too much difficulty. It's doable, colour blindness is much less of an issue than it is made out to be :)

1. What is a sub-field of relatively employable applied/experimental physics?

A sub-field of relatively employable applied/experimental physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the practical application of scientific principles and theories, often involving experiments and hands-on research.

2. What are the job prospects for this sub-field?

This sub-field of physics has relatively high job prospects, as it is directly applicable to real-world problems and innovations. Many industries, such as technology, energy, and healthcare, require the expertise of applied and experimental physicists.

3. What skills are necessary for a career in this sub-field?

Skills necessary for a career in this sub-field include a strong foundation in physics principles, proficiency in experimental design and data analysis, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, and strong communication skills.

4. What types of research are commonly conducted in this sub-field?

Research in this sub-field can range from studying the behavior of materials under extreme conditions to developing new technologies for energy production. Some common areas of research include condensed matter physics, biophysics, and materials science.

5. What are some potential career paths for those with a background in this sub-field?

Those with a background in this sub-field can pursue careers in a variety of industries, including technology, healthcare, energy, and materials science. They may work as research scientists, engineers, data analysts, or consultants, among other roles.