Calculating Total Distance Covered by a Subway Train in 84 Seconds

• Thread starter LICACS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, the problem involves a subway train starting from rest and accelerating for 14.0 seconds at a rate of 1.60m/s2. Then, it runs at a constant speed for 70.0 seconds before slowing down at a rate of 3.50m/s2 until it reaches a complete stop at the next station. To find the total distance covered, the problem can be broken down into three parts: the accelerating part, the constant speed part, and the decelerating part.
LICACS
A subway train starts from rest at a station and accelerates at a rate of 1.60m/s2 for 14.0s. It runs at a constant speed for 70.0s and slows down at a rate of 3.50m/s2 until it stops at the next station. Find the total distance covered.

I have no idea what to do for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
What kinematic equations do you know? You must have some idea if you are studying this stuff. Give more information on what it is you don't understand. Start by breaking up the problem into pieces. The accelerating part, the constant speed part and the decelerating part.

Give it a try.

I would approach this problem by using the principles of physics and mathematical equations to calculate the total distance covered by the subway train.

First, I would identify the known variables in the problem: acceleration (1.60m/s2 and 3.50m/s2), time (14.0s and 70.0s), and initial velocity (0m/s).

Next, I would use the equation d = v0t + 1/2at^2 to calculate the distance covered during the acceleration phase. Since the train starts from rest, the initial velocity (v0) is 0m/s, and the acceleration (a) is 1.60m/s2, the equation becomes d = 0 + 1/2(1.60)(14.0)^2 = 156.8m.

Then, I would use the equation v = v0 + at to calculate the final velocity after the acceleration phase. The initial velocity is still 0m/s, and the acceleration is 1.60m/s2, so the final velocity (v) becomes v = 0 + (1.60)(14.0) = 22.4m/s.

Using the final velocity, I can then calculate the distance covered during the constant speed phase using the equation d = vt. Since the train runs at a constant speed for 70.0s, the distance covered is d = (22.4)(70.0) = 1568m.

Finally, I can use the equation v^2 = v0^2 + 2ad to calculate the distance covered during the deceleration phase. The final velocity is 0m/s, the initial velocity is 22.4m/s, and the acceleration is -3.50m/s2 (negative because the train is slowing down). The equation becomes 0 = (22.4)^2 + 2(-3.50)d, and solving for d gives a distance of 319.36m.

Therefore, the total distance covered by the subway train in 84 seconds is 156.8m + 1568m + 319.36m = 2044.16m.

1. How do you calculate the total distance covered by a subway train in 84 seconds?

The total distance covered by a subway train can be calculated by multiplying the train's speed by the time it takes to travel. In this case, we would multiply the train's speed in meters per second by 84 seconds to get the total distance in meters.

2. What is the average speed of a subway train in meters per second?

The average speed of a subway train can vary depending on the city and type of train. However, according to a study by the New York City Transit Authority, the average speed of a subway train in New York City is 25.1 km/h or 6.97 meters per second.

3. Can the total distance covered by a subway train in 84 seconds be converted to other units?

Yes, the total distance covered by a subway train can be converted to other units such as kilometers or miles. To convert meters to kilometers, divide the distance in meters by 1000. To convert meters to miles, divide the distance in meters by 1609.34.

4. How accurate is the calculation of the total distance covered by a subway train in 84 seconds?

The accuracy of the calculation depends on the accuracy of the train's speed and the time it takes to travel. If these values are measured accurately, then the calculation of the total distance covered by the subway train should be accurate.

5. Why is it important to calculate the total distance covered by a subway train?

Calculating the total distance covered by a subway train can provide valuable information for transportation planners and engineers. It can help determine the efficiency of the train system, identify areas for improvement, and assess the environmental impact of the train's operations.