1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A sum in determinants

1. Jun 10, 2012 #1
    1. The problem

Prove that

| (a+b-c) (-c+a-b) (a+b+c) |
    | (a-c) (c-a) (b-a) | = (a+b-c)(-c+a-b)(a-c)
    | (a-b) (a-c) (a+b) |

using properties of determinants without expanding a determinant

2. The attempt at a solution

I tried a lot of ways like with following steps C(3) -> C(3) + C(2) , R(1) -> R(1) + R(2) ,
    R(1) -> R(1) + R(2) - R(3).....but i could get nothing...its not my homework sum....i am just a 7th grade maths enthusiast.....i saw this sum somewhere.....i tried to solve this but couldnt get.......can anyone help me up to solve this......or atleast guide me.......where C(1) means column 1 and R(1) means Row 1 and similar things to that

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2012 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

(a+b-c) (-c+a-b) (a+b+c) |
    | (a-c) (c-a) (b-a) | = (a+b-c)(-c+a-b)(a-c)
    | (a-b) (a-c) (a+b) |
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}a+b- c & -c+a-b & a+b+c \\ a-c & c-a & b-a \\ a-b & a-c & a+b\end{array}\right|[/tex]

"C(3) -> C(3) + C(2)". Okay, that gives
    [tex]\left|\begin{array}{ccc}a+b- c & -c+a-b & 2a \\ a-c & c-a & b+c-2a \\ a-b & a-c & 2a+b-c\end{array}\right|[/tex]

But may I ask why you did that? How does it improve the situation?

Notice that the right side, (a+b-c)(-c+a-b)(a-c), is a product of three numbers, one of which is the upper left element of the determinant. The determinant of a diagonal or triangular matrix is just the product of the numbers on the main diagonal so I would recommend using row operations to change all numbers below the main diagonal to 0. For example, changing R2 to R2- (a-c)/(a+b-c)R1 will make the second row of the first column equal to 0.

4. Jun 10, 2012 #3
    that was one of the steps i did....i tried with many properties meddled with this a lot.....but couldnt get a thing......instead of what you said i would just add R(2) and R(3) and get a 0..(R2 -> R2 + R3)....so thats aint the problem.....u will get zeros.....bu the problem gets more complicated i u proceed.....so what i want is...a stock algorithm to get the answer.....

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  5. Jun 10, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The claimed result is false. Let D denote the determinant and R the expression on the right. When a=1, b=2, c=3 we have D = 16 but R = 0. When a=-1, b=0, c=2 we have D = 24 but R = -27.

There must be something wrong with the expressions you wrote.

RGV

6. Jun 11, 2012 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Thanks, Ray. I didn't check.

7. Jun 12, 2012 #6
    Oh thanks......

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook