1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: A sum of a series problem

1. Jun 14, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the exact sum of the series:

1/1!3 + 1/2!4 + ... + 1/n!(n+2)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

The only series I know that look like this are e^x and ln(x) (centered at x = 1). But I do not know how to combine them and I'm not even sure if that's what I'm supposed to do.

e^x = 1 + x + x^2/2! + ... + x^n/n!

ln(x) = (x-1) -(1/2)(x-1)^2 + (1/3)(x-1)^3 ...

ln(x) is missing the factorials and has alternating signs. I tried messing around with its input value but to no avail.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What kind of a series do you get if you integrate e^x? Can you find a way to modify that function so you get your series?

4. Jun 14, 2010 #3
    Thanks for the help.

integral(e^x) = x + x^2/2! + x^3/3! + ... + x^(n+1)/n!(n+1)

I had tried that before. Certainly the integral of e^x is the function that most resembles the series, but the values in the denominator of the series' terms are increasing linearly and any thing I plug in for the x's increase exponentially. I thought maybe integrating a second time would do it but that gives the series:

x^(n+1)/n!(n+1)(n+2)

Is there something to multiply the series by to get rid of the (n+1) for all of the terms? That would once again require an input that could increase linearly. I'm kind of lost.

5. Jun 14, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about if you integrate e^x from 0 to 1? And sure that only gives you n+1 in the denominator. How about x*e^x?

6. Jun 14, 2010 #5
    Thanks again.

I'm not sure what your second sentence means. I'm pretty sure I'll have to stick in a one by integrating from 0 to 1 in the end but I haven't found the right series yet. x*e^x gives me the same thing as the integral of e^x, but with the factorials shifted to the left. I still have the same problem as before; I can't figure out how to make the linearly increasing fractions appear.

7. Jun 14, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, what do you get if you integrate the series for x*e^x term by term from 0 to 1? I'm pretty sure your series is in there.

8. Jun 14, 2010 #7
    I get the right answer.

Thanks so much for all your help!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook