1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A summation series

1. Dec 17, 2017 #1
    I am asking on the spur, so there has not been too much thought put into it, but how would we classify a series summation such as $$ \sum_{i=0}^{n} 2^{2^i} ~ ?$$ It does not feel to be geometric, nor that it can be made to be geometric. In general, the function xx does not look like it bears a Taylor expansion, so I don't think it even has an algebraic approximation (in which case, I doubt it could be the root of a power series either).

I was considering the case |q| < 1, where if we took an infinite product of a summation $$ \sum_{i=0}^{n} q^{2^i} ~ ?$$ in some particular way, we might have a convergent power series (or vice versa). Is there already literature on this sort of thing?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2017 #2

fresh_42

2017 Award

Staff: Mentor

4. Dec 17, 2017 #3

Buzz Bloom

Gold Member

5. Dec 17, 2017 #4

StoneTemplePython

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Your question seems to, curiously, be related to the problem of the week.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/intermediate-math-problem-of-the-week-12-11-2017.934137/

specifically, if you take the log of the infinite product to convert to infinite series, recognize you're in radius of convergence for natural log, expand the series (giving you ##\sum\sum##), and upper bound ##\frac{1}{
    2^{2^n}+2^{-2^n}} \leq
    \frac{1}{
    2^{2^n}}## and then interchange the summations...

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted