A super n00b gravity question

• Thread starter Niall Davids
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary, the speaker is wondering if gravity could be a reaction to the early universe falling apart or to the expansion of the universe, and if that is the reason for its weak strength. They also mention the idea of gravity coming from another dimension.
Niall Davids
I know nothing about physics really, but I get on kicks that I can't stop wondering about, most of which are nothing short of silly I'm sure. Well here's one that I would love someone's indulgence in a response to:
I am a FIRM believer in equal and opposite, I think no matter what we learn about anything that will be rule #1, or close to it. That being said, I think they say just after the big bang the universe was out of balance where heavier particles attracted others and so on, or that the Higgs boson they are using the LHC to look for that was so heavy it fell apart to create stuff that would attract and so on. Again, I don't know if I'm still making sense, but, by any means if things came apart at the very beginning wouldn't they want to revert to their natural state and come together? Ultimately my main question is, could gravity be the reaction to either the early universe falling apart (being so long ago going towards why gravity is so weak), or to the universal expansion itself? I have read a bit on the idea of gravity "Leaked" out of another dimension, but I don't think so.

Thanks for your time and patience. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Niall Davids said:
Ultimately my main question is, could gravity be the reaction to either the early universe falling apart (being so long ago going towards why gravity is so weak),

I don't know if gravity is considered a reaction to anything. It's just a force relative to mass, velocity etc.

Niall Davids said:
or to the universal expansion itself?

As the universe expands and adds space between masses, the force of gravity is naturally weakened (which is what I think you're talking about).

First of all, it's great that you have an interest in physics and are curious about these concepts! It's always good to ask questions and seek understanding.

To answer your question, let's first clarify some basic principles of gravity. Gravity is the force that attracts objects with mass towards each other. This force is always present and acts between all objects with mass, regardless of their size or distance from each other. This is what we call the law of universal gravitation.

Now, let's address the idea of equal and opposite reactions. This principle, also known as Newton's third law of motion, states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. This applies to forces, not just to particles or objects. In the case of gravity, the force of attraction between two objects is equal in magnitude but opposite in direction. For example, the Earth's mass exerts a force of gravity on you, but you also exert an equal and opposite force of gravity on the Earth.

Regarding the early universe and the Higgs boson, it's important to note that gravity was already present and acting between particles. The Higgs boson is believed to give mass to particles, but it does not create gravity. The law of universal gravitation still applies, and the force of gravity between particles is determined by their masses and the distance between them.

As for your question about gravity being a reaction to the early universe falling apart or the expansion of the universe, the answer is no. Gravity is not a reaction to any specific event or process. It is a fundamental force that has always existed and will always exist, as long as there are objects with mass in the universe.

The idea of gravity "leaking" from another dimension is a hypothesis that is still being explored and has not been proven. Currently, the most widely accepted explanation for gravity is Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes gravity as the curvature of space-time caused by the presence of mass and energy.

I hope this helps clarify some of your questions about gravity. Keep exploring and asking questions, and don't be afraid to delve deeper into these concepts!

1. What is gravity?

Gravity is a force of attraction between two objects with mass. It is what keeps us grounded on Earth and causes objects to fall towards the ground.

2. How does gravity work?

Gravity works by the principle of mass attracting other mass. The larger the mass, the stronger its gravitational pull. This is why planets and stars with larger masses have stronger gravitational forces.

3. Why do objects fall towards the ground?

Objects fall towards the ground because of the Earth's gravitational pull. The Earth's mass creates a force that pulls objects towards its center, causing them to fall towards the ground.

4. Does gravity only exist on Earth?

No, gravity exists everywhere in the universe. Every object with mass has a gravitational force, even if it is very small. However, the strength of gravity can vary depending on the mass of the objects and the distance between them.

5. Can gravity be manipulated or controlled?

Gravity cannot be manipulated or controlled by humans. It is a fundamental force of nature that cannot be altered. However, we can use technology to counteract the effects of gravity, such as using rockets to launch into space.