1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Supposed alternative to GR I feel to be NonsenseClarification please

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    Hello, I stumbled upon this work some time ago. It is based on the k-calculus and claims to be a viable alternative to GR. It seems to me to be a whole load of arm waving and even exagerated claims. I am no expert on this though and so would like some more knowledgable opinions on whether the paper should be taken seriously.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

K-calculus is fine and well established as a way to understand special relativity.

As far as geometric optics goes, I'm not terribly familiar with it, but the paper itself gives us a Big Clue.

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's nonsense IMO. K-calculus has big problems in GR. That is, btw, a personal opinion and does not represent the views of PG management.

5. Sep 20, 2005 #4

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

The first on the reference list (other than to his own work) is:

[6] Tom Van Flandern. The speed of gravity – what the experiments say.
    Phys. Lett. A, 250:1–11, 1998.

Not really helpful if one proposes an alternative to GR.....

Regards, Hans

6. Sep 20, 2005 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

K-calculus == special relativity, not general relativity, at least in its standard form. Let's not through out the baby with the bathwater - K-calculus is a perfectly fine way to understand SR. One of the benefits of the K-calculus approach is it's simplicity - it doesnt' require more than high school math, so it's a good way to teach SR to high school students.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?