A Supposed alternative to GR I feel to be NonsenseClarification please

Main Question or Discussion Point

Hello, I stumbled upon this work some time ago. It is based on the k-calculus and claims to be a viable alternative to GR. It seems to me to be a whole load of arm waving and even exagerated claims. I am no expert on this though and so would like some more knowledgable opinions on whether the paper should be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
K-calculus is fine and well established as a way to understand special relativity.

As far as geometric optics goes, I'm not terribly familiar with it, but the paper itself gives us a Big Clue.

In recent times the author has written several papers on the subject of his proposed
alternative to general relativity, [1, 2, 3, 4, 5] all of them rejected by the journals
to which they were submitted;

Chronos
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's nonsense IMO. K-calculus has big problems in GR. That is, btw, a personal opinion and does not represent the views of PG management.

Hans de Vries
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The first on the reference list (other than to his own work) is:

[6] Tom Van Flandern. The speed of gravity – what the experiments say.
Phys. Lett. A, 250:1–11, 1998.

Not really helpful if one proposes an alternative to GR.....

Regards, Hans

pervect
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Chronos said:
It's nonsense IMO. K-calculus has big problems in GR. That is, btw, a personal opinion and does not represent the views of PG management.
K-calculus == special relativity, not general relativity, at least in its standard form. Let's not through out the baby with the bathwater - K-calculus is a perfectly fine way to understand SR. One of the benefits of the K-calculus approach is it's simplicity - it doesnt' require more than high school math, so it's a good way to teach SR to high school students.

Last edited: