Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Supposed alternative to GR I feel to be NonsenseClarification please

1. Sep 19, 2005 #1
    Hello, I stumbled upon this work some time ago. It is based on the k-calculus and claims to be a viable alternative to GR. It seems to me to be a whole load of arm waving and even exagerated claims. I am no expert on this though and so would like some more knowledgable opinions on whether the paper should be taken seriously.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2005 #2

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

K-calculus is fine and well established as a way to understand special relativity.

As far as geometric optics goes, I'm not terribly familiar with it, but the paper itself gives us a Big Clue.

4. Sep 20, 2005 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2015 Award

It's nonsense IMO. K-calculus has big problems in GR. That is, btw, a personal opinion and does not represent the views of PG management.

5. Sep 20, 2005 #4

Hans de Vries

Science Advisor

The first on the reference list (other than to his own work) is:

[6] Tom Van Flandern. The speed of gravity – what the experiments say.
    Phys. Lett. A, 250:1–11, 1998.

Not really helpful if one proposes an alternative to GR.....

Regards, Hans

6. Sep 20, 2005 #5

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

K-calculus == special relativity, not general relativity, at least in its standard form. Let's not through out the baby with the bathwater - K-calculus is a perfectly fine way to understand SR. One of the benefits of the K-calculus approach is it's simplicity - it doesnt' require more than high school math, so it's a good way to teach SR to high school students.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?