1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A surface integral

1. Dec 15, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Compute the integral
    [itex]\iint_S \sin y dS[/itex]
    where S is part of the surface [itex]x^2 +z^2 = \cos^2(y)[/itex] lying between the planes [itex]y=0[/itex] and [itex]y=\pi/2[/itex].

2. Relevant equations
    [itex]\iint_S f(x,y,z) dS = \iint_D f(x,y, g(x,y)) \sqrt{g_x^2 +g_y^2 +1}dA[/itex]
    [itex]\iint_S f(x,y,z) dS = \iint_D f(\vec{r}(u,v)) \|\vec{r}_v\times\vec{r}_v\| dA[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So my attempt was to parametrize to surface as [itex] x=x , y=y, z=\sqrt{\cos^2y - x^2}[/itex], then put everything in the equation, and ended up with this integral [itex]\int_0^{\pi/2}\int_0^{cosy} siny \sqrt{\frac{x^2+sin^2ycos^2y}{cos^2y-x^2} +1} dxdy [/itex]

This is exactly what I would get if I took the partial derivatives and used the other equation. I don't think I've made a mistake in my calculations, but that's more than likely to happen.
    I'm not sure how to proceed from here. Is there some kind of factorization I can do? Some identity to apply? Some substitution to use?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 15, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I've never worked in this area, so I may have this completely wrong, but I tried r = (x, sin(y), z), taking x and z as the parameters. This simplified nicely and I ended up with pi/4. Is that valid, or must I use r = (x, y, z)?

4. Dec 15, 2012 #3
    How did you end up with r = (x, sin(y), z)? If you take x and z to be the parameters, wouldn't y = cos-1√(x^2+z^2) ?

When parameterizing a surface, you use two variables, right?
    With what I did, my surface ended up being parametrized as [itex]\vec{r}(x,y) = <x, y, \sqrt{cos^2y-x^2}> [/itex]

5. Dec 15, 2012 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I was not happy with my r = (x, sin(y), z), so I tried again with the more convincing r = (x, y, z). Taking x and z as parameters, r = (x, √(1-x2-z2), z). ||rx x rz|| = 1/sin(y), so the integral reduces to ∫∫dxdz. All that's left is to be careful with the ranges in the double integral. (This is the same result as I got with r = (x, sin(y), z), so maybe it was valid.)

6. Dec 15, 2012 #5
    Hm... ok. I think I see what's happening now.
    Thank a lot for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook