1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I A surprising discovery?

1. Mar 20, 2016 #1
    A SURPRISING DISCOVERY:

I have only recently discovered the following equations of a certain function of a pair of two integers, which surprised me:-

f(x, y) = {f(x+z, y+z) + f(x-z, y-z)}/2 ----------------1

f(x, y) = {f(x+1, y+1) + f(x-1, y-1)}/2-2 .-----------------2

Where z = any value, positive or negative.

Of course the first equation is true for f(x,y) = x+/-y, and the second is true for f(x,y) = x+/-y-2, but there is another surprising function (non linear) which I will leave the reader to discover for now.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 20, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You are looking for functions satisfying one of those equations?
    f(x,y)=a*x+b*y+c+g(x-y) for the first, with arbitrary a,b,c and an arbitrary function g. Every linear function will work, and you can even make nonlinear functions via g.

f(x,y) = x+y-2 (same with "-") does not work for the second equation. Take x=0, y=0 for example, then f(x,y)=-2 but {f(x+1, y+1) + f(x-1, y-1)}/2-2 = (0-4)/2-2 = -4.
    Actually, no linear function satisfies the second equation. Something like f(x,y)=-(x+y)^2 should work. You can then add any function that satisfies equation 1.

4. Mar 20, 2016 #3
    Sorry I did not mean to include the second equation as applicable to a linear function. What surprised me was the non linear function that you have probably known of a long before me. In particular it is fairly simple to show that a function of order higher than 2 is not possible, so is this relevant to FLT?

5. Mar 20, 2016 #4

mfb

2016 Award

FLT?

If you look at the one-dimensional case, it is easier to find the function. What kind of function satisfies h(x)=(h(x+1)+h(x-1)/2 - 2?
    This can be written as h(x+1)-h(x) = (h(x)-h(x-1)) - 2. No linear function can satisfy this, but the expression suggests that the second derivative (related to the difference of differences of function values) is constant. So you can test h(x)=c*x^2. Plugging it in gives you c=-1/2.
    Higher powers of x would not lead to a constant difference of 2.

Going back to the original function: you can always write f(x,y) as g(x+y,x-y)=g(u,v). We need g(u,v)=(g(u+2,v)+g(u-2,v))/2 - 2. So in the first parameter, it has to behave like the function h from above, while the function can do anything it wants in the second parameter. All that is left is finding the prefactor, which you can do with an example (like x=0, y=0).

6. Mar 20, 2016 #5
    Thanks for your input. The particular function I am interested in that fits the first equation is simply x^p -y^p where p is either one or two which will include all pythagoras triples. And with power above two the equation cannot be true. (The second equation relates to x^p + y^p)
    So does this prove, or point to a proof of Fermat's last theorem?

7. Mar 20, 2016 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

No.

8. Mar 20, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

It has absolutely no relation to Fermat's last theorem.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted