Was Stephen Hawking time traveling on my street?

• Thread starter StarkRavingMad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experience
In summary, the speaker describes a surreal encounter with a man who resembles Stephen Hawking, but without Lou Gehrig's disease. The man was dressed conservatively and reminded the speaker of their old math teacher. The speaker also shares a personal experience of meeting someone who looked and talked exactly like their mother, but was much younger. They also mention seeing an elderly man dressed in a unique outfit.
StarkRavingMad
The other day I was waiting at a stoplight and this gentleman crossed the street in front of my car. He was dressed fairly conservatively with a bow tie and a somewhat dated suit, but he wasn't that old. Sorry for the stereotype, but... he was dressed kind of nerdy. He reminded me of one of my old math teachers.

The surreal part, though, came when I got a good look at his face. He had thin, light brown hair, glasses... and looked almost exactly like Stephen Hawking. :bugeye: Well, how I think he would look if he didn't have Lou Gehrig's disease of course.

Just last week I was reading The Universe in a Nutshell and remembered one of the theories (not his, but one he covered in the book) that really jumped out at me, where every particle in the universe travels from point A to point B not in a straight line, but through every possible imaginary path through timespace. The striking resemblence and way he was dressed made me imagine that it really was Hawking from an alternate dimension, doing a time travel experiment or something.

Physics news on Phys.org
I once met my mother's double - scary. She looked like mom, talked like mom, talked to no end like mom :biggrin:, but she was only about ten years older than me. it was quite disconcerting.

Ivan Seeking said:
but she was only about ten years older than me. it was quite disconcerting.

Wow, that's a great compliment for your mom, the age I mean .
Wait till I try this one on mine . She'll be over the roof .

I saw a chap in his 80s last night, about 5'2", about 6 stones, wearing tweed trousers, a skinny black t shirt, thick black glasses, and a green baseball cap with yellow letters spelling "fresh".

1. Was Stephen Hawking really time traveling on my street?

There is no evidence to suggest that Stephen Hawking was time traveling on your street. Time travel is currently not possible according to our current scientific understanding.

2. How did Stephen Hawking time travel on my street?

As mentioned before, time travel is currently not possible. Even if it were, there is no evidence to suggest that Stephen Hawking had the ability to time travel.

3. Why would Stephen Hawking choose to time travel on my street?

It is highly improbable that a renowned scientist like Stephen Hawking would choose to time travel on a random street. Time travel, if possible, would require extensive research and preparation, and it is highly unlikely that it would be done for recreational purposes.

4. Could I have time traveled with Stephen Hawking on my street?

As mentioned before, time travel is currently not possible. Even if it were, it is highly unlikely that someone would be able to time travel without extensive scientific knowledge and resources.

5. What proof is there that Stephen Hawking wasn't time traveling on my street?

There is no proof that Stephen Hawking was not time traveling on your street, however, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of time travel. In order for time travel to be a possibility, it would require a significant shift in our current understanding of physics and technology.