Is the 11-Sylow subgroup of G in the center of G?

• Thread starter e(ho0n3
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Subgroup
In summary: We could just as easily have f_g=2 for every g in P and say that P is a subset of the center of H. But that's not very interesting.In summary, the number of 11-Sylow subgroups is 1 + 11k and this number must be either 1, 3, 7, 21, 33, 77 or 231. Upon inspection, the only possibility is 1. Homework Statement
e(ho0n3
Homework Statement
If G is a group of order 231, prove that the 11-Sylow subgroup is in the center of G.

The attempt at a solution
The number of 11-Sylow subgroups is 1 + 11k and this number must be either 1, 3, 7, 21, 33, 77 or 231. Upon inspection, the only possibility is 1.

Let H be the 11-Sylow subgroup of G. Note that 3 * 7 * 11 = 231, so o(H) = 11 and H is cyclic. Furthermore, this is the only subgroup of order 11, so it must be normal. With these facts in mind, let a be a nonidentity element of H. For any g in G, we must have g-1ag = aj for some j in {1, 2, ..., 11}. Thus ag = gaj.

I don't know what to do next. Any tips?

Physics news on Phys.org
What can you say about the order of the automorphism g -> g-1ag? (Hint: it's enough to consider those g's coming out of the 3- and 7-Sylows.)

If the order of g is 3 or 7, then the order of the automorphism must be 21. But now what?

Why do you say that?

By the way, there was a typo and an unfortunate choice of letters in my previous post. But I hope the idea got through though - we want to let G act on H by conjugation. That is, consider the automorphism f_g of H defined by f_g(x) = g-1xg. What is its order? (Hint: the map g->f_g is a homomorphism.)

I said 21 because because it is the least common multiple of 3 and 7. Thus, applying f_g 21 times to x will surely result in just x.

Sure, but does that mean the order of f_g is 21?

Here's another hint. If the order of g is 3, then the map g->f_g is an embedding from Z_3 into Aut(H)=~Z_10.

Sure, but does that mean the order of f_g is 21?

No. Let n be the order of fg. Then g-nagn = a or agn = gna. If g in H, then n must be 1. If g is in a 3-Sylow subgroup, then n must be 3 unless g commutes with elements from H. Is this possible?

Here's another hint. If the order of g is 3, then the map g->f_g is an embedding from Z_3 into Aut(H)=~Z_10.

Wait. Where did you get that Aut(H) =~ Z10? I thought Aut(H) =~ U11.

If U_11 is the group of invertibles of Z_11, then it's isomorphic to Z_10 (it's cyclic and has order phi(11)=10).

Oh yeah. Still, I don't see where you're going with this.

Well, a subgroup is central iff conjugating it is a trivial action. Since H itself is abelian, we only need to worry about conjugation with elements outside of H. By Lagrange, the non-identity elements in G\H will lie in either the 3-Sylow or 7-Sylow.

Let's consider the 3-Sylow, call it P. The map g -> f_g is a homomorphism from P into Aut(H)=Z_11. An order argument will yield that f_g=1. Do the same for the 7-Sylow.

morphism said:
By Lagrange, the non-identity elements in G\H will lie in either the 3-Sylow or 7-Sylow.
But the elements of G/H are cosets. I don't get.

Let's consider the 3-Sylow, call it P. The map g -> f_g is a homomorphism from P into Aut(H)=Z_11. An order argument will yield that f_g=1. Do the same for the 7-Sylow
You meant to write Z_10. I understand know. I did not suspect the order of f_g to be 1. I'll have to think about that.

e(ho0n3 said:
morphism said:
By Lagrange, the non-identity elements in G\H will lie in either the 3-Sylow or 7-Sylow.

But the elements of G/H are cosets. I don't get.
I just realized you meant G - H when you wrote G\H. Sorry about that. Still, I don't see how Lagrange implies that though.

Since Aut(H) is isomorphic to Z10, it has 10 elements, whence the order of fg must be either 1, 2, 5 or 10. And since we know that (fg)3 is the identity map (assuming g is an element of a 3-Sylow subgroup), we can rule out 2, 5, and 10, so its order must be 1.

Yup.

You can disregard this bit:
It's obviously nonsense. I don't know why I wrote it.

Anyway, to finish the argument, notice that f_g=1 for every g in P means that P is a subset of the centralizer of H. So...

morphism said:
Anyway, to finish the argument, notice that f_g=1 for every g in P means that P is a subset of the centralizer of H. So...
I understand the rest. Thank you. However, we still have to show that every non-identity element in G - H has order 3 or order 7.

e(ho0n3 said:
However, we still have to show that every non-identity element in G - H has order 3 or order 7.
No we don't. It's actually not true (think of an abelian counterexample). Initially I 'broke up' the group into elements of order 3, 7 and 11 to guide my intuition, but then I took it too far.

The point is, we can embed subgroups of order 3, 7 and 11 into the centralizer of H. So the centralizer must be the entire group. That's all there is to it.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by "embed" or how that proves that C(H) = G. We have shown that if g has order 3 or 7, then it belongs to C(H). Does the same argument we used to show that the order of fg is 1 work for those g that have order 21, 33, or 77? This seems to be the case.

morphism said:
That is, consider the automorphism f_g of H defined by f_g(x) = g-1xg.
I've been thinking, if f_g is an automorphism of H, then g must be in H and we can't really use it if g is not in H, which destroys the whole argument we've developed.

Oh wait. I forgot that H is normal so g-1xg is in H for all x in H and g in G.

OK. I've written down a solution which I'm content with. Thanks for the help morphism.

No problem.

Just to clarify, by embed I basically meant "we can find an injective homomorphism." This is equivalent to 'embedding' a copy of one group into another.

What is a Sylow subgroup?

A Sylow subgroup is a subgroup of a finite group that has a prime power order. It is named after mathematician Ludwig Sylow, who first studied them in 1872.

How do you find the number of Sylow subgroups in a group?

The number of Sylow subgroups in a group can be found using Sylow's theorems, which provide a way to calculate the number of subgroups of a given order. This involves finding the prime factors of the group's order and applying specific formulas.

What is the significance of Sylow subgroups?

Sylow subgroups play a crucial role in the study of finite groups, as they provide a way to break down a group into smaller, more manageable subgroups. They also have connections to other important concepts in group theory, such as normal subgroups and the structure of a group.

How are Sylow subgroups related to the concept of conjugacy?

Sylow subgroups are always conjugate to each other, meaning that they are in the same conjugacy class. This allows us to use properties of conjugacy to better understand Sylow subgroups and their role in a group.

What is the application of Sylow subgroups in real-world problems?

Sylow subgroups have applications in various areas of mathematics, including number theory, combinatorics, and cryptography. They also have connections to other fields such as physics and chemistry, making them a useful tool in solving real-world problems.