A system of complex equations in a ti-89?

In summary, the student is struggling to solve a complex equation involving two unknowns while trying to analyze a mechanism. They believe that the TI-89 calculator can solve this type of problem, but are having trouble figuring it out even with the help of the instruction manual. They are looking for direct help or online resources to understand how to use the TI-89 for this purpose.
jhonkarlos

Homework Statement

While trying to analyze a mechanism, I find I have a complex equation that boils down to a couple of simple-looking equations with two unknowns. I'm under the impression that the ti-89 will solve this sort of set, but I'm having a huge problem figuring it out. The instruction manual isn't being very helpful. Direct help would be wonderful, so would directions to anything online.

Homework Equations

7cos(x) + 9cos(y) = -.732
7sin(x) + 9sin(y) = -1.0

The Attempt at a Solution

There's another method to do this, but it's rather tedious.

Computer science news on Phys.org
I suggest you try using the TI-89 to solve it. The instruction manual should be able to help you out, if you go through it carefully. If you still can't figure it out, there are plenty of online resources (like YouTube tutorials) that can help you understand how to use the TI-89 for this purpose. Good luck!

I was hoping the ti-89 could handle it.

I would suggest using the built-in solver function on the ti-89 to solve this set of complex equations. This function can be accessed by pressing the "2nd" and then "SOLVE" button on the calculator. It allows you to input the equations and the unknown variables, and then provides you with the solution. If you are having trouble using this function, I would recommend seeking out online tutorials or reaching out to other ti-89 users for assistance. Additionally, you may want to double check your equations and make sure they are set up correctly before using the solver function. If you are still having trouble, you may need to use other methods such as substitution or elimination to solve the equations. Remember to always check your solutions to ensure they are valid.

What is a system of complex equations?

A system of complex equations is a set of equations that involve complex numbers, which consist of a real part and an imaginary part. The equations are typically in the form of a polynomial, where the variables can have imaginary values.

How can a ti-89 calculator solve a system of complex equations?

A ti-89 calculator has built-in functions that can handle complex numbers and solve systems of equations. Using the "solve" function, you can input the equations and the variables to get the complex solutions.

Can a ti-89 calculator solve non-linear systems of complex equations?

Yes, a ti-89 calculator can solve both linear and non-linear systems of complex equations. The "solve" function can handle equations of any degree, as long as they are in the correct format.

What is the process for solving a system of complex equations using a ti-89 calculator?

To solve a system of complex equations using a ti-89 calculator, you first need to input the equations and variables into the calculator using the "solve" function. The calculator will then use its algorithms to find the complex solutions for the variables.

Are there any limitations to using a ti-89 calculator to solve a system of complex equations?

While a ti-89 calculator is a powerful tool for solving systems of complex equations, it does have limitations. The calculator may not be able to handle very large or complicated systems, and it may not be able to give exact solutions for irrational or non-algebraic equations.