1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A System of Three ODEs

1. May 7, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In a problem I was given a system of three differential equations concerning three functions, x(t), y(t) and z(t):

dx(t)=2y(t)dt,
    dy(t)=[z(t)-x(t)]dt,
    dz(t)=[c^2x(t)-2y(t)]dt. (where c is a constant)

The problem asked me to prove that when t is large, x(t)+z(t) converges to K*exp{wt},
    where w is a positive real root of equation w^3+4w-2c^2=0,

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I haven't studied how to solve this kind of ODE system in my calcus class, so now I am stuck at the beginning of this question. If you are willing to take time to look at it for me, I will be real grateful for that. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

The middle equation is

y'(t) = z(t)-x(t).

If you differentiate it, you'll get

y''(t) = z'(t)-x'(t)

You can substitute for x'(t) and z'(t) using the first and third equations. With a bit more manipulation, you can eventually get a differential equation for just y(t), which you should be able to solve (in principle). Next, write (x+z)'' in terms of y. Then you should be able to argue what you're trying to show.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook