1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A system with varying mass - a rocket

1. Jan 26, 2005 #1

Eus

In Fundamental of Physics 6th ed. by Halliday, Resnick, Walker pg. 181-183, the section is about systems with varying mass: a rocket.
    It is written:
    Is it okay if I change M+dM with M-dM because I know that the rocket loses its mass and -dM with dM because the exhaust product has mass in positive quantity?
    So that figure (b) becomes
    {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}--System boundary
    {. dM .......... |--------\ .......... }
    { <<<< --> U |. M-dM . > ---> v }
    { ................ |--------/ .......... }
    {~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~}
    ------------------------------------------- x
    And dM is not a negative quantity anymore because I've taken account of it in the figure (the rocket loses its mass and the exhaust products gain mass).

Next it is written:
    If I'm allowed to change M+dM with M-dM and -dM with dM then Eq. 9-38 becomes
    M * v = dM * U + (M - dM) * (v + dv) ... (Eus-1)

Then it is written:
    If I do Eq. Eus-1 with little algebra it becomes
    dM * vrel = M * dv ... (Eus-2)
    Dividing each side by dt gives us
    (dM/dt) * vrel = M * (dv/dt)
    I replace dM/dt by R not -R because I've taken account of this decrement in rocket mass since the beginning.
    Am I right?
    Therefore, I got the first rocket equation without any problem that is R * vrel = M * a.

Now I run into a problem when finding the velocity of the rocket
    It is written:
    My problem is that when I use Eq. Eus-2 as below
    dv = vrel * (dM/M)
    Integrating each side leads to
    vi S vf dv = vrel * [Mi S Mf (1/M) dM]
    And evaluating the integrals then gives
    vf - vi = vrel * ln( Mf / Mi ) ... (Eus-3)
    Yup! This is the problem. I cannot replace vrel by -vrel because I don't have any reason to do that.
    Because Mf is always less than Mi, Eq. Eus-3's right hand side always has a negative value and that means vf is less than vi (the rocket is slowing down)
    Mmmm... do you think I've done a big mistake by changing M+dM by M-dM and -dM by dM? Why is it wrong?
    If I'm not wrong then is there something that I've taken account into my calculation when I calculate the second rocket equation? What is it?

Thank you very much for you help! ^_^
    I really appreciate it! ^^v

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2005 #2
    a very long typing, how long did you take to type all this? :confused:
    I am not gonna type this long... my typing is slow :rolleyes:

I think you have already noticed your mistake is on the sign only...... you changed the M+dM to M-dM' (i added a prime in your dM to make thing looks nicer)
    Here is your problem:
    when you doing the integral since dM' = -dM, the limit of the integral changed:
    [tex] \int_{b}^a dM' = \int_{b}^a (-dM) = -\int_{b}^a dM=\int_{a}^b dM [/tex]

the negative sign in Eus-3 is due to the integral... vrel is fine....
    if you carry a prime notation all the way in your calculatioin... you will see this problem had never been taken care of..... even if you changed the sign a couple times

Last edited: Jan 27, 2005
  4. Jan 27, 2005 #3

Eus

Hi Ho! ^_^

Mmm... about an hour ^^;;

Ummm... I know that this is all about the sign but what make me wonder actually is not the sign but the author's reason.
    Why did he use M+dM when he knew that the rocket loses its mass?
    If I were the author I would use M-dM because I know that the rocket loses its mass.
    Here -dM is really a -dM not -dM' because the rocket loses its mass.

5. Jan 27, 2005 #4
    I used the prime notation because wanna distinguish your dM from the auther's dM. sure the dM is the rocket mass... I can't say your dM=-dM.... that doesn't make sense mathematically and conceptaully... One small question, do u understand my reasoning above?

if the auther use M-dM... while he do the integral in eq 9-43, he have to make the same argument------the limit of the integral must flip------ that will make this complicate calculation more complicated.....

let me know do you understand my reasoning.....

6. Jan 27, 2005 #5

Eus

Mmmm... yup! I know exactly that dM is not equal to -dM
    And I know your reason why you used dM'.
    Wait a minute, I think I see the light.

Could you please check my story below?
    A rocket initially has mass M and velocity v relative to an inertial reference frame.
    During dt, it ejects exhaust products with mass dExhaust.
    Therefore, at the end of dt, the rocket has velocity v+dv and mass M-dExhaust.
    Whereas, the exhaust products have velocity u and mass dExhaust.
    Then using the conservation of momentum,
    M * v = dExhaust * u + (M-dExhaust) * (v+dv)
    M * v = dExhaust * (v+dv-vrel) + (M-dExhaust) * (v+dv)
    M * v = dExhaust * (v+dv) - vrel * dExhaust + M * v + M * dv - dExhaust * (v+dv)
    0 = -vrel * dExhaust + M * dv
    vrel * dExhaust = M * dv ... (1)
    vrel * (1/M) * dExhaust = dv
    Okay! So, dExhaust = -dM because ... ?
    Could you please tell me why is dExhaust equal to -dM?
    If I continue, I'll find the second rocket equation without any problem.
    But I'll screw up the first rocket equation.

If dExhaust = -dM then ...
    Back to equation (1)
    vrel * dExhaust = M * dv
    Dividing each side by dt gives us
    vrel * (dExhaust/dt) = M * (dv/dt)
    Because dExhaust = -dM,
    vrel * (-dM/dt) = M * (dv/dt)
    -vrel * R = M * a
    Argh, I screw up the first rocket equation because R is positive.

Do you like Final Fantasy 7? ^^;;;

Ah, my problem arose when I saw M+dM in my text book.
    I don't have any problem when the author wrote v+dv because I know the rocket will gain additional speed by ejecting something.
    Hehehe... why didn't I think that the rocket will slow down? Because in TV I see the rocket will gain speed ^^;;;
    But I don't think that the rocket will gain additional mass.
    It ejects something so it loses its mass.
    Therefore, I have a problem with M+dM.

7. Jan 27, 2005 #6
    The equations work perfectly well if you assume dM > 0. In fact, I prefer the derivation your way. We assume that initially the rocket is moving with velocity [itex]v[/itex] and the fuel is ejected with velocity [itex]U[/itex], so
    [itex]
    \begin{align*}
    P_1 & = P_2 \\
    Mv & = (M - \mathrm{d}M)(v + \mathrm{d}v) + U\,\mathrm{d}M.
    \end{align*}
    [/itex]

Expanding this out gives

[itex]Mv = Mv + M\,\mathrm{d}v - v\,\mathrm{d}M - \mathrm{d}M\,\mathrm{d}v + U\,\mathrm{d}M[/itex]

The vector term [itex]- \mathrm{d}M\,\mathrm{d}v[/itex] is negligible, so

[itex]Mv & = Mv + M\,\mathrm{d}v - v\,\mathrm{d}M - \mathrm{d}M\,\mathrm{d}v + U\,\mathrm{d}M.[/itex]

Substituting [itex]U = v_\mathrm{ex} + v[/itex] and solving for [itex]M\,\mathrm{d}v[/itex], before dividing both sides by [itex]\mathrm{d}t[/itex] gives

[itex]
    M\frac{\mathrm{d}v}{\mathrm{d}t} = - v_\mathrm{ex}\frac{\mathrm{d}M}{\mathrm{d}t}.
    [/itex]

Separating the variables and integrating gives

[itex]
    v_\mathrm{f} - v_\mathrm{i}= v_\mathrm{ex} \ln\frac{M_\mathrm{i}}{M_\mathrm{f}}.
    [/itex]

8. Jan 27, 2005 #7
    sorry, I don't play Final Fantasy.....

it is easy... because the text book define the mass of rocket is M+dM... the rocket is lossing mass... so dM is negative.... but you define the rocket's mass as M - dExhaust.... the dExhaust is positive.... therefore

dExhaust = -dM

dExhaust equal to a negative (negative number) => dExhaust is positive... simple logic...

:rolleyes:

9. Feb 2, 2005 #8

Eus

Hi Ho! ^_^

Although I'm still confused, thank you very much for all of your helps! ^^v
    I really appreciate it! ^^

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?