What is the ratio of two integrals involving sine with exponents of sqrt(2)?

• MHB
  • Thread starter MountEvariste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrals
In summary, "A tale of two integrals" is a mathematical concept that involves two different ways of solving integrals. The first integral, called the indefinite integral, involves finding the antiderivative of a function, while the second integral, called the definite integral, involves finding the area under a curve between two specified limits. The choice of integral depends on the problem at hand, and the concept is used in various real-world applications such as physics, engineering, and economics. There are also techniques and formulas that can be used to simplify the process of solving integrals, including integration by parts, substitution, and trigonometric identities.
MountEvariste
$ \displaystyle I = \int_0^{\pi/2} \sin^{\sqrt{2}+1}{x}$ and $\displaystyle J = \int_0^{\pi/2} \sin^{\sqrt{2}-1}{x}$. Find $\displaystyle \frac{I}{J}.$

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Recall the so-called Beta function defined by $$B(a,b) = \int_{0}^{1}t^{a-1}(1-t)^{b-1}\,dt.$$ Note that \begin{align*}\Gamma(a)\Gamma(b)&= \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-u}u^{a-1}\,du\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-v}v^{b-1}\,dv\\ &=\int_{0}^{\infty}\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-u-v}u^{a-1}v^{b-1}\,du\,dv\end{align*} Setting $u = zt$ and $v=z(1-t)$, the change of variables theorem in 2-dimensions gives \begin{align*}\Gamma(a)\Gamma(b)&=\int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-z}z^{a+b-1}\,dz\int_{0}^{1}t^{a-1}(1-t)^{b-1}\,dt\\ &=\Gamma(a+b)B(a,b), \end{align*} from which we immediately obtain $$B(a,b) = \frac{\Gamma(a)\Gamma(b)}{\Gamma(a+b)}.$$ Using the substitution $t = \sin^{2}\theta$ in the definition of $B(a,b)$ above, we see that $$\frac{1}{2}B(a,b)=\int_{0}^{\pi/2}\sin^{2a-1}x\cos^{2b-1}x\,dx.$$ Hence, \begin{align*}\frac{I}{J}&=\frac{\frac{1}{2}B\left(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{2}\right)}{\frac{1}{2}B\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{2}\right)}.\end{align*} Using $B(a,b) = \dfrac{\Gamma(a)\Gamma(b)}{\Gamma(a+b)}$ and $\Gamma(z+1) = z\Gamma(z),$ the above becomes \begin{align*}\frac{I}{J} &= \frac{\Gamma\left(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{2} \right)}{\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)\Gamma\left(1+\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{2} \right)}\\ &= \frac{\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \right)\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{2} \right)}{\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{2} \right)\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}+\frac{1}{2} \right)\Gamma\left(\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}\right)}\\ &=\frac{\sqrt{2}}{\sqrt{2}+1}\end{align*}

Integrate by parts. $$\begin{aligned} I = \int_0^{\pi/2}\sin^{\sqrt2+1}x\,dx &= \int_0^{\pi/2}\sin x\sin^{\sqrt2}x\,dx \\ &= \left[-\cos x\sin^{\sqrt2}x\right]_0^{\pi/2} +\sqrt2 \int_0^{\pi/2}\cos^2x\sin^{\sqrt2-1}x\,dx \\ &= \sqrt2 \int_0^{\pi/2}(1 - \sin^2x)\sin^{\sqrt2-1}x\,dx = \sqrt2(J-I).\end{aligned}$$ Therefore $\dfrac IJ = \dfrac{\sqrt2}{\sqrt2+1}.$

Nice solutions, GJA and Opalg.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve various mathematical problems.

2. What is sine?

Sine is a trigonometric function that relates the ratio of the side opposite a given angle to the length of the hypotenuse in a right triangle. It is commonly used in geometry and physics to solve problems involving triangles and waves.

3. What does an exponent of sqrt(2) mean?

An exponent of sqrt(2) means that the number is raised to the power of 1/2, or the square root of 2. This can also be written as the number raised to the power of 0.5.

4. How do you calculate the ratio of two integrals involving sine with exponents of sqrt(2)?

The ratio of two integrals involving sine with exponents of sqrt(2) can be calculated by dividing the value of one integral by the other. This can be done using integration techniques and mathematical formulas.

5. What is the significance of this ratio in scientific research?

The ratio of two integrals involving sine with exponents of sqrt(2) can have various applications in scientific research, such as in physics, engineering, and signal processing. It can be used to solve problems involving waves, oscillations, and harmonic motion.