1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A taylor series question

1. May 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) Use Taylor's theorem with the Lagrange remainder to show that

[tex]log(1+x) = \sum^{\infty}_{k=1}\frac{(-1)^{k+1}}{k}x^{k}[/tex]

for 0<x<1.

(b) Now apply Taylor's theorem to log(1-x) to show that the above result holds for -1<x<0.

2. Relevant equations

Taylor's theorem w/ Lagrange remainder:

[tex]f(x) = \sum^{n}_{k=0}\frac{(x-a)^{k}}{k!}f^{(k)}(a) + R(n,x)[/tex]

where

[tex]R(n,x) = \frac{x^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}f^{(n+1)}(t)[/tex]

for some t in (0,x).

3. The attempt at a solution

I seem to have done part (a) okay by just writing it all out and then showing that the remainder tends to zero as n tends to infinity.

Then when I do the same thing with log(1-x) I get

[tex]log(1-x) = \sum^{n}_{k=1}\frac{-1}{k}x^{k} + \frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n+1}}{(n+1)(t-1)^{n+1}}[/tex]

for some t in (0,x). But we're considering the case here were 0<x<1, so the denominator in the remainder will be between -1 and 0. Consequently, as n tends to infinity, this part will tend to zero and the fraction as a whole will tend to infinity. I've checked my working a few times and tried fiddling about with different methods, including trying the Cauchy remainder, but I can't seem to show that R->0 as n->inf.

Any help appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2009 #2

Born2bwire

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Take the magnitude of

[tex]\frac{(-1)^{n}x^{n+1}}{(n+1)(t-1)^{n+1}}[/tex]

and work to replace the (t-1) with x. Just keep in mind that x and t are both (0,1).

Last edited: May 21, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook