What is the tension in a rope for a moving box in Newton's Second Law?

• Thread starter ideefixem
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking help with a physics problem involving a 50kg box hanging from a rope. The student is asking for clarification on how to solve for the tension in the rope in two different scenarios and receives guidance on how to derive the equation for tension in terms of mass, gravity, and acceleration. The student's proposed solutions are confirmed to be correct.
ideefixem
Greetings everyone.
This is my first post and I'm currently enrolled in a general physics I class. We are studying Newtons Second at the moment.

Homework Statement

A 50kg box hangs from a rope. What is the tension in the rope if:
a- The box moves up a steady 5.0 m/s
b- The box has vy= 5.0 m/s and is speeding up at 5.0 m/s^2

Homework Equations

a->= F->net/m
(Fnet)x=max
(Fnet)y=may

The Attempt at a Solution

I was out last Friday when this topic was discussed. The above question is one of the few review/summary questions available for extra practice. I don't want to fall behind so I'm just want to catch up for class tomorrow.

Any hints or ideas as to where to start would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright,
Could you tell me if I am heading in the right direction here?

B)
m=50kg
v=5.0m/s
a=0m/s^2

f=ma=m(g+x)
f=50kg(9.8m/s^2+0)
tension=490N

C)
f=ma=m(g+x)
f=50kg(9.8+5.0)
tension=740N

those answers are right.

Hm...just curious did you derive f=m(g+x) from F=ma? or was that given to you?

It wasn't given to me. I assumed it... is it still correct?

yes, but you should know how to derive it:

since the block is hanging from a rope you know all the forces acting on it, weight and tension of the string.

If you can't see it you can draw a Free Body Diagram, so Tension is pointing upward. weight is pointing down.

using Newton's second law for the y component and using the up direction as positive you will get:

T-mg=ma
T=m(g+a)

because there's only those 2 forces acting on the block, if there were more like multiple strings you'd just use Newton's 2nd law and add up all the forces keeing in mind the +/- direction that you choose.

Thank you for your help.

1. What is a tension based problem?

A tension based problem is a scientific concept that refers to a situation where forces acting on an object are not balanced, causing the object to experience a strain or pull in different directions. This can occur in various settings, such as in engineering structures, biological systems, and even social interactions.

2. How do you identify a tension based problem?

In order to identify a tension based problem, one must first recognize that there are two or more forces acting on an object or system. These forces can be either internal, such as muscle tension in the human body, or external, such as gravity or wind. If these forces are not balanced, the object or system will experience a strain or tension that can lead to problems or failures.

3. What are some examples of tension based problems in everyday life?

Tension based problems can be seen in various aspects of everyday life, such as a bridge collapsing due to unequal forces acting on it, a strained muscle from lifting a heavy object, or even a relationship becoming strained due to conflicting views or desires. Other examples include a rope breaking when pulled too tightly, or a tree branch bending under the weight of snow or wind.

4. How can tension based problems be solved or prevented?

In order to solve or prevent tension based problems, it is important to understand the forces at play and how they can be balanced. This can be achieved through careful planning and design in engineering, proper form and technique in physical activities, and effective communication and compromise in social interactions. Regular maintenance and monitoring can also help identify and address potential tension based problems before they escalate.

5. What role does tension play in scientific research?

Tension is a crucial aspect of scientific research, especially in fields such as physics, biology, and engineering. By studying the effects of tension on different objects and systems, scientists can gain a better understanding of how forces interact and how to predict and prevent potential problems. Tension can also be manipulated and controlled in experiments to test hypotheses and gather data, leading to new discoveries and advancements in various fields of study.