1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Ternary Cantor Set proof

1. Feb 22, 2007 #1
    Hey all,

I would really like help on this probably simple proof:

That the map x |--> f(x) = (x+2)/3 on [0,1] is a contraction,
    and maps the ternary Cantor set into itself. Also, find it's fixed point.

(1) I can easily show the fixed point (where f(x) = x) is 1.
    (2) I can also pretty easily show it is a contraction:
    where |f(x) - xo| <= q*|x - xo|, where q < 1, and xo is the fixed point.

(3) However, I can't seem to find a way to tell whether it maps the ternary Cantor set into itself. I kno the definition of the ternary Cantor set is taking the interval [0,1] and deleting the middle-third of the interval, and then repeating the process on each remaining interval, infinitely.

What does it mean by mapping the ternary Cantor set into itself? Does x have to start out being in the ternary Cantor set? If so, how is it possible if x can vary from [0,1]? What am I interpreting wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2007 #2
    Look at how the function maps certain intervals. What sort of intervals must x be contained in for it to be in the Cantor set? What then happens to the intervals under function f(x)?
  4. Feb 22, 2007 #3
    ah thx. just the boost i needed =)
  5. Feb 22, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

It means that if x is in the subset of [0,1] called the Cantor set, then f(x) is also in the Cantor set. You might use the fact that x is in the Cantor set if and only if its base 3 expansion contains no 1s.

(I've edited to change "contains no 0s" to "contains no 1s"!)

I've also given a little more thought to this. Since dividing by 3 base 3 just shifts the "decimal" point, this is trivial!
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2007
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?