1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A textbook question

1. Nov 30, 2005 #1
    In my textbook there is an example that shows determination whether a series converges or diverges using the limit comparison test.
    "
    The series is (1+n *ln(n)) / (n^2 + 5)
    For n large, we expect an to behave like (n*ln(n))/n^2 = (ln(n))/n, which is greater than 1/n for n>= 3, so we take bn = 1/n.
    "

My question is why can I use 1/n as an comparison series, I guess it's because its smaller than (ln(n))/n for large n but I'm not sure how that should validate the choice.

Could someone please explain to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 30, 2005 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

"I guess it's because its smaller than (ln(n))/n for large n "

Yes, that's the whole point- together with the fact that [itex]\Sigma \frac{1}{n}[/itex] does not converge. The "Limit Comparison Theorem" says that if [itex]a_n\leq b_n[/itex] for large enough n, and [itex]\Sigma a_n[/itex] does not converge, then [itex]\Sigma b_n[/itex] does not converge.

4. Nov 30, 2005 #3
    they used 1/n because they had a hunch that the series diverges. so when you do the limit comparison test you calculate lim an/bn and if the answer is a finite number greater than zero then either both of your series converge or both diverge. since 1/n is a known divergent series the series you compared it to must also diverge.
    it is good test to know for an exam because it is so easy and doesnt require a bunch of inequalities and lots of thinking. if you suspesct your series an to converge then just pick a series bn that converges and calculate lim an/bn if its finite and bigger than zero then you are done.

5. Nov 30, 2005 #4
    Thanks.:smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?