1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A thermodynamic inequality (from minimum work)

1. Apr 4, 2012 #1
    EDIT: Turns out, the solution to my question is related to the determinant of a positive definite quadratic form.

This is more or less straight from Landau's Statistical Physics Part 1 (3rd edition), Chapter 21.

I don't understand how the inequality/condition (the last equation in this post) arises. I think it's a mathematical problem, but I wonder if I have ignored some physical reasoning.

The minimum work, which must be done to bring a body in an external medium from its equilibrium state to any neighbouring state:
    [tex]
    \delta E - T_0 \delta S + P_0 \delta V > 0
    [/tex]
    where [itex]T_0[/itex] and [itex]P_0[/itex] are (constant) temperature and pressure of the external medium, and where for the temperature and the pressure of the body in equilibrium with the external medium we would have: [itex]T=T_0[/itex], and [itex]P=P_0[/itex]

Regarding the energy as [itex]E=E(S,V)[/itex], and expanding [itex]\delta E[/itex] as a series:
    [tex]
    \delta E = \frac{\partial E}{\partial S}\delta S + \frac{\partial E}{\partial V}\delta V + \frac{1}{2} \left[ \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial S^2} (\delta S)^2+ 2 \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial S\partial V} \delta S\delta V + \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial V^2} (\delta V)^2 \right]
    [/tex]

Note that [itex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial S}=T[/itex] and [itex]\frac{\partial E}{\partial V}=P[/itex]. Inserting this into the first equation gives the inequality:
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial S^2} (\delta S)^2 + 2 \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial S\partial V} \delta S\delta V+ \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial V^2} (\delta V)^2> 0
    [/tex]

If we want this inequality to be true for any values of [itex]\delta S[/itex] and [itex]\delta V[/itex], the following conditions have to hold:
    [tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial S^2} > 0
    [/tex]

[tex]
    \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial S^2}\frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial V^2} - \left( \frac{\partial^2 E}{\partial S\partial V} \right)^2 > 0
    [/tex]

Where does the last condition come from?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted