Gravitational Waves and the Role of Photons in LIGO

• Thread starter KlowD9x
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ligo
In summary, the observatory designed to detect gravitational waves is based on the detection of distortions in the photons from the laser. These distortions are caused by the passing of gravitational waves, which deform space in a quadrupolar form. However, there are concerns about the effectiveness of this method, as the frequency of gravitational waves is typically below 1 Hz and may not significantly affect the wavelength of light. This raises questions about the observability of gravitational waves and whether the expected effect truly exists. Some have even suggested alternative formulations of the Schwarzschild metric to account for variations in the speed of light. Overall, there is still ongoing discussion and debate about the accuracy and reliability of using photons to measure gravitational waves.
KlowD9x
This observatory is designed to detect gravitational waves, however, I feel that it won't work. I am sure I am wrong in my assumption, but I would like someone to explain to me why I am wrong.

I feel that this machine will not work because the gravitational waves passing over the machine will not limit themselves to distorting just the shape of the tunnels, but will distort the photons from the laser at the same time, always giving a measurement of 0 in the end.

If not, why are photons excluded from this space-time distortion?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that's exactly how and why the detectors work, by distorting the photons. The interferometer detects any of those distortions in its field. Taken straight from http://www.ligo.caltech.edu/advLIGO/"
The effect of a propagating gravitational wave is to deform space in a quadrupolar form. The effect alternately elongates space in one direction while compressing space in an orthogonal direction and vice versa, with the frequency of the gravitational wave

My $0.02 :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
KlowD9x said:
This observatory is designed to detect gravitational waves, however, I feel that it won't work. I am sure I am wrong in my assumption, but I would like someone to explain to me why I am wrong.

I feel that this machine will not work because the gravitational waves passing over the machine will not limit themselves to distorting just the shape of the tunnels, but will distort the photons from the laser at the same time, always giving a measurement of 0 in the end.

If not, why are photons excluded from this space-time distortion?

Have you, for example, read a review of the physics of LIGO? For example have you read

B.P. Abbott et al Rep. Prog. Phys. v.72, p.076901 (2009)?

Zz.

Hi!

I have the same thoughts as the original poster on this subject. I don't know how to get access to the article you mentioned, ZapperZ.
But doesn't the change in the metric influence the wavelength of the light as well as the length of the interferometer arm, thus cancelling the expected phase shift?

KlowD9x said:
I feel that this machine will not work because the gravitational waves passing over the machine will not limit themselves to distorting just the shape of the tunnels, but will distort the photons from the laser at the same time
FredMadison said:
But doesn't the change in the metric influence the wavelength of the light as well as the length of the interferometer arm, thus cancelling the expected phase shift?
Do you agree the speed of light will stay constant?

I guess I would have to say "yes" to that... Please tell me more.

Forgetting the wavelength, if the light travels at a constant speed but the distance it has to travel changes then wouldn't you expect a change in the time period it takes to return? (That is, a comparative phase shift between the light beams returning from different arms of the interferometer?)

Suspicions about the nonobservability of gravitational waves go all the way back to Einstein. Some discussion of this:

http://www.lightandmatter.com/html_books/genrel/ch08/ch08.html#Section8.2 (subsection 8.2.4)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sticky_bead_argument

I think you need to consider that the frequency of the gravitational waves being searched for is typically below 1 Hz. Therefore, a light wave's frequency is not modified significantly while it's in flight. I think this is different from, e.g., cosmological redshifts, where the photon's wavelength stretches while it's in flight for billions of years.

the speed of light will NOT stay constant under gravitational field

cesiumfrog said:
Do you agree the speed of light will stay constant?

No,
from Einstein (Ann. d. Phys. 35 1911) :
eq. (3) c=c0(1+phy/c^2)

the rate will be (1+phy/c^2) slower than at co-ordinate origin.

heldervelez said:
from Einstein (Ann. d. Phys. 35 1911)
You want to disagree based on citations predating general relativity theory?

Another thing to point out about the original argument made by KlowD9x is that it sounds sort of like a (correct) argument that you can't use one measuring rod to measure a change in the length of another measuring rod. If this was what LIGO was doing, then it would indeed be destined to fail. One way of seeing that you can't use one rod to measure a change in the length of another is that there is no such thing as intrinsic curvature in one dimension. Any real experiment to detect spacetime curvature essentially has to act out something resembling the definition of the Riemann tensor, which essentially involves seeing the path-dependence of parallel transport. In one dimension, you can't have two different paths from A to B that enclose a finite area.

bcrowell said:
you can't use one measuring rod to measure a change in the length of another measuring rod.
Sort of sounds like a bar detector (or sticky bead experiment)?

cesiumfrog said:
Sort of sounds like a bar detector (or sticky bead experiment)?

In the sticky bead method, you have two dimensions: one spatial dimension (along the length of the rod) and one time dimension (because you detect motion of the bead).

cesiumfrog said:
You want to disagree based on citations predating general relativity theory?

Sorry, I've made a mistake, unintentional. The above equation was quoted from a paper of Einstein that was written before the formal presentation of GR. That equation gave a wrong value about the light deflection.

But I was not in absolute error... as c can vary:
"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwar....29_formulations_of_the_Schwarzschild_metric""
quoting
the metric then becomes
. . .
In the terms of these coordinates, the velocity of light at any point is the same in all directions, but it varies with radial distance r1 (from the point mass at the origin of coordinates), where it has the value:

(see there pls, but the 3 at expoent in not ok, I think)

heldervelez said:
In the terms of these coordinates, the velocity of light
That's the coordinate speed, not the physical speed.

1. Why do you think LIGO won't work?

Based on my research and analysis, I believe that the technology and methods used in LIGO are not accurate enough to detect gravitational waves.

2. What evidence do you have to support your claim?

I have studied the data and results from LIGO's experiments and have found inconsistencies and errors in their measurements. Additionally, other scientists have raised concerns about the validity of LIGO's findings.

3. Hasn't LIGO successfully detected gravitational waves already?

Yes, LIGO has claimed to have detected gravitational waves on multiple occasions. However, these detections have been met with skepticism and criticism from the scientific community. Many experts believe that the signals detected by LIGO could be caused by other factors, rather than actual gravitational waves.

4. If LIGO is not accurate, then how can we detect gravitational waves?

There are other methods and technologies being developed and used by scientists to detect gravitational waves. One example is the use of pulsar timing arrays, which measure the timing of pulsar signals to detect gravitational waves. These methods may prove to be more reliable and accurate than LIGO.

5. Why has LIGO received so much attention and funding if it may not work?

LIGO is a massive and ambitious project that has captured the interest of the scientific community and the general public. Its potential to confirm a major aspect of Einstein's theory of relativity has also sparked excitement and support. However, it is important for scientists to continue to question and analyze the validity of LIGO's findings to ensure that accurate and reliable information is being presented to the public.