Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A topic for a 5 min speech

1. Jul 30, 2008 #1
    Hi guys.
    I need help coming up with a topic for my year 11 physics speech which goes for 5 min. I decided to ask here cause my teacher marks hard so i need some good topics.
    The question i have choosen talk about is "Is it possible to solve a rubiks cube in a disco?".
    If anyone can suggest some better topics that would be great or even if they can recommend a change in this topic it would be very helpful.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2008 #2
    What exactly does that question even mean? What does it mean to solve a rubiks cube in a disco....?
  4. Jul 30, 2008 #3
    I find your topic almost has nothing to do with physics.
    Why don't you try How eclipses occur on Earth?
  5. Jul 30, 2008 #4
    I thought I could talk about the behaviour light and its reflection from coloured objects.
    How does eclipses have to do with physics?
  6. Jul 30, 2008 #5
    brilliant :)

7. Jul 31, 2008 #6
    Eclipses have to do with the orbits of bodies in space and light.

I think that eclipses are quite elementary depending on the level of math you are able to use.

Flywheels and their practical applications
    Magnetic propulsion and it's current applications.

Just a couple of ideas.
  8. Jul 31, 2008 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

People making suggestions should keep in mind that 5 minutes is maybe 400-500 words - less than a page of text.
  9. Jul 31, 2008 #8
    What?, you can not see any link between eclipse and physics?
    There's coming sun eclipse today, so it is certainly more interesting.
  10. Jul 31, 2008 #9

Staff: Mentor

11. Jul 31, 2008 #10

I think that you can go more than 500 words in 5 minutes...at least that's my experience from many speakers I've seen.
  12. Jul 31, 2008 #11

Gold Member

I love it.

You can terach them how an object's perceived colour has less to do with the properties of the object itself and more to do with the light that impinges on an object.

(A red square under blue light is not red - it's black.)
  13. Aug 3, 2008 #12
    Do something about electromagnetic propultion. Build a linear homopolar motor they are pretty cool and show it to those you are presenting too.
  14. Aug 3, 2008 #13
    I like the disco idea as well. Its creative, interesting and educational.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?