Answer Torque Req'd to Reach 300 rev/min in 10s - K.E. at 300rev/min

• Thread starter John O' Meara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, a grindstone with a radius of 0.5m and a mass of 50kg has a kinetic energy of 3084J when rotating at 300 rev/min. To find the torque needed to bring it from rest to this angular velocity, an integral is needed to calculate the total amount of kinetic energy from 0 to 300 rev/min. For part (a), the torque can be found by using equations for constant angular acceleration and the relationship between torque and angular acceleration.
John O' Meara
A grindstone in the form of a solid cylinder has a radius of .5m and a mass of 50kg.
(a) What torque will bring it from rest to an angular velocity of 300 rev/min in 10s.
(b) What is its kinetic energy when it is rotating at 300 rev/min.
I will do (b) first: w = 300 rev/min = 5 rev/s
w = 10*pi rad/s
K.E., = .5*I*w^2. Where I = .5*m*R^2...i.e., the moment of inertia. Therefore,
K.E., = 5000*pi^2/16 = 3084J.

(a) P=T*w; T const'. Where P = power, T=torque, w=angular velocity.
(Also work = T*(theta2 - theta1)). But this is only the power for a particular value of w, what is the power when w<300rev/min, e.g., 200, 100, etc., rev/min. We want to find the total amount of K.E., for w=0 to w=300 rev/min interval. Is there an integral some where here, and what is it? Many thanks.
P.S. Currently on the 2nd page of this thread I got a 2nd question on angular velocity, I hope some one will be able to answer it for me. Thanks again.

Physics news on Phys.org
b) you made a slight error in calculating the angular velocity (in rev/s)

a) There are equations similar to the constant acceleration equations for the (constant) angular acceleration of an object. In this problem the torque is constant so the angular acceleration of the grindstone will be constant. From the information it should then be possible to calculate the angular acceleration (by using one of the constant angular acceleration equations). Then you need to find the relationship between torque and angular acceleration.

To answer the first part (a), we can use the equation T = I*alpha, where T is torque, I is moment of inertia, and alpha is angular acceleration. We know that the initial angular velocity is 0, and the final angular velocity is 300 rev/min or 10*pi rad/s. The time interval is given as 10 seconds. So, we can rearrange the equation to solve for torque:

T = I*alpha
T = (.5*50*0.5^2)*(10*pi/10)
T = 6.25*pi N*m

So, a torque of 6.25*pi N*m is required to bring the grindstone from rest to an angular velocity of 300 rev/min in 10 seconds.

For the second part (b), as you correctly calculated, the kinetic energy is given by K.E. = 5000*pi^2/16 = 3084 J. This is the total kinetic energy at an angular velocity of 300 rev/min. To find the power at different values of w, we can use the equation P = T*w. As w increases from 0 to 300 rev/min, the torque required also increases. So, we can essentially find the power at different angular velocities and then integrate it to find the total power required to bring the grindstone to 300 rev/min in 10 seconds. The integral would be:

P = ∫T*w dw

Where w ranges from 0 to 10*pi rad/s. This integral would give us the total power required to bring the grindstone to 300 rev/min in 10 seconds. I hope this helps.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is Torque = Force x Distance. It is typically measured in Newton-meters (N⋅m) or foot-pounds (ft⋅lb).

How do I calculate the torque required to reach a certain rotational speed?

The formula for calculating torque required to reach a certain rotational speed is Torque = (2π x K.E.)/t, where t is the time in seconds and K.E. is the kinetic energy at the desired speed.

What is the unit of measurement for rotational speed?

The unit of measurement for rotational speed is revolutions per minute (rev/min) or rotations per minute (rpm). It represents the number of complete revolutions or rotations an object makes in one minute.

How does kinetic energy affect rotational speed?

Kinetic energy is directly proportional to rotational speed. This means that as the kinetic energy at a certain speed increases, the required torque to reach that speed also increases. In other words, the higher the kinetic energy, the more force is needed to accelerate the object to a certain rotational speed.

How does torque relate to rotational motion?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. In rotational motion, an applied force creates a torque, which results in a change in the object's angular velocity or rotational speed.