1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A tough Sequence

1. May 20, 2008 #1
    [tex]a_{n+1}=3-\frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]
    [tex]a_1=1[/tex]

How should I prove that [tex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/tex]
    for all n, ?
    I have tired to use counter example,
    assuming
    [tex]a_n>a_{n+1}[/tex]
    then contradiction appears,
    but I found that what I was doing is just to counter "for all n"

How should I prove that
    [tex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/tex] ,for all n ?

2. jcsd
  3. May 20, 2008 #2
    Induction seems to be the obvious choice. Try working backwards by assuming:
    [tex]a_{n+1} > a_n[/tex]
    and then showing that it implies [tex]a_n > a_{n-1}[/tex]. You should then be able to reverse the steps, prove [tex]a_2 > a_1[/tex] and the induction is complete.

4. May 21, 2008 #3
    probably I got it now,
    thanks!

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  5. May 21, 2008 #4

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Well if I had to do this in an exam, I wouldn't use induction,too much for me to write and I don't like to write.

[tex]
    a_{n+1}=3-\frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]

[itex]-a_n[/itex] i.e. minus a_n from both sides of the equation.

[tex]
    a_{n+1}-a_n =3-\frac{1}{a_n} -a_n[/tex]

Bring the right side to the same denominator and see what happens.From the expression for [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex] and [itex]a_1=1[/itex], what does that say for [itex]a_n[/itex]?

6. May 22, 2008 #5
    If you mean [itex]a_{n+1}-a_n[/itex] is positive as [itex]\frac{{a_n}^2+3a_n-1}{a_n}[/itex] is positive and that implies [itex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/itex]

but how do you know that [itex]\frac{{a_n}^2+3a_n-1}{a_n}[/itex] is positive?
    or [itex]{a_n}^2+3a_n>1[/itex]?

7. May 22, 2008 #6
    If you want to avoid typing out an inductive argument, simply assume the minimality of n.

Assume for contradiction that there exist at least one n such that [itex]a_{n} \leq a_{n+1}[/itex]. Let [itex]m[/itex] be the smallest integer such integer. Then:
    [tex]a_{m} \leq a_{m+1} \Rightarrow 3-\frac{1}{a_{m-1}} \leq 3-\frac{1}{a_m} \Rightarrow a_{m-1} \leq a_m[/tex]
    This contradicts the minimality of m.

8. May 22, 2008 #7
    What is the minimality of n?
    I checked this in the Internet, is it something about Strong minimality theory??

9. May 22, 2008 #8
    No it's simply a way to say that m is the least possible. We assumed that [itex]m[/itex] was the smallest value for which the original statement was false, but we showed that this implies that [itex]m-1[/itex] makes the original statement false. There exist a value smaller than m even though we assumed m was the smallest, therefore there can't exist a smallest element.

10. May 22, 2008 #9
    edit: Sorry, was wrong :)

11. May 22, 2008 #10
    Direct Proof?

[tex]a_1=1[/tex]

Prove: [itex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/itex] for all n?

Let's use a direct comparison:

[tex] a_{n+1} > a_n [/tex]
    [tex] 3 - \frac{1}{a_n} > a_n [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{a_n^2-3a_n+1}{a_n} < 0 [/tex]

This is zero or undefined for [itex] a_n = \frac{3 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}, 0 [/itex]

The solution to this inequality is [itex] a_n < \frac{3 - \sqrt{5}}{2} \cup 0 < a_n < \frac{3 + \sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex].

Since [itex]a_1[/itex] is in the solution set, this is shown to be true.

Now we have to show that you can't jump boundaries for [itex] a_1 = 1 [/itex].

Last edited: May 22, 2008
  12. May 22, 2008 #11
    I made a mistake in my initial reply here it is fixed.

[tex]a_1=1[/tex]

Prove: [itex]a_{n+1}>a_n[/itex] for all n?

Let's use a direct comparison:

[tex] a_{n+1} > a_n [/tex]
    [tex] 3 - \frac{1}{a_n} > a_n [/tex]
    [tex] \frac{a_n^2-3a_n+1}{a_n} < 0 [/tex]

This is zero or undefined for [itex] a_n = \frac{3 \pm \sqrt{5}}{2}, 0 [/itex]

The solution to this inequality is [itex] a_n < 0 \cup \frac{3 - \sqrt{5}}{2} < a_n < \frac{3 + \sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex].

Since [itex]a_1[/itex] is in the solution set, this is shown to be true.

Now we have to show that you can't jump boundaries for [itex] a_1 = 1 [/itex].

13. May 22, 2008 #12
    Since [itex]a_1 = 1[/itex] lies in the second boundary, we will only work with that boundary.

Next we have to find all values for [itex] a_n [/itex] that will allow [itex] \frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2} < 3 - \frac{1}{a_n} < \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2} [/itex] to be true.

[tex]\frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2} < 3 - \frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]
    [tex] a_n < 0 \cup a_n > \frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2}[/tex]

[tex] \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2} > 3 - \frac{1}{a_n}[/tex]
    [tex] 0 < a_n < \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2} [/tex]

The intersection of those intervals yields: [itex] \frac{3-\sqrt{5}}{2} < a_n < \frac{3+\sqrt{5}}{2}[/itex]

Since [itex]a_1=1[/itex] is in our interval we know that [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex] will not jump out of the good interval.

Is this good enough?

Last edited: May 22, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?