1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A train rounding a Curve

1. Feb 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A train traveling at a constant speed rounds a curve of radius 218 m. A lamp suspended from the ceiling swings out to an angle of 16.6° throughout the curve. What is the speed of the train?

2. Relevant equations

mv^2/r

3. The attempt at a solution

I drew a diagram and attempted to calculate v by setting mv^2/r = -cos16.6 mg
    I don't really know how to approach this?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I think the angle is with the vertical, which makes the deflection in x given as Sin16.6 not Cos 16.6.

V2/r = Sin16.6*g

V = (r*sin16.6*g)1/2

4. Feb 27, 2009 #3
    I tried and got 24.705 but that was wrong. Are there any other ways to approach the problem?

5. Feb 27, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

What units do they want the answer in? m/s or km/h?

24.705 m/s = 88.9 km/h

6. Feb 27, 2009 #5
    I tried both ways but neither options were correct. I think it is supposed to be in m/s and I think my answer is wrong in general, is there anything else I can do to get another answer?

7. Feb 27, 2009 #6

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Ooops. Sorry. I did a sketch and realized vertical is g and that means then that

V2 = tan16.6*g*r

8. Feb 27, 2009 #7
    Ok, I got it! Thank you so much.

9. Feb 27, 2009 #8

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

It's important you understand why.

Draw the acceleration vectors. The acceleration vectors add to some resultant a that forms the angle. The vertical component is g which means the Resultant acceleration on the lamp is given by

g = ay = a*cosθ

So a = g/cosθ

For the x component, that means that ax = a*sinθ = g*sinθ/cosθ = g*tanθ

and that is what equals the centripetal acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook