My Iron from the Earth: A Childhood Memory

In summary, Roberto found an "iron" that appears to be man-made. It is hard, has a thin layer of rust on the outside, and does not have nickel. He tested its composition and found that it is not metallic. He thinks it may have come from an old foundry or mill. There is no information about where Roberto found the object or when.
qumf
When I was a child, I picked a iron from the earth. It looks a iron, it has a thin layer rust outside. but the shape looks like a stone. it is about 26mm long.
I erase a little rust by knife. then the position will not get rusty afterwards in the room even many years.

Engineering news on Phys.org
until to recent days, I get a spectrum ways to test its composition.
It is strange. I do not know what it is originally.
Sn 0.048%; Mo 0.089%; Zr 0.014%; W 0.089%; Zn 0.062%; Cu 0.195%; Fe 96.873%; Mn 0.844%; Ti O.085%; LEC 0.655%(light element such as Si, C, the machine can not tell the nonmetallic element)
who can tell me what it is originally?

Attachments

• 2013-02-03_22-41-55_705.jpg
    2013-02-03_22-41-55_705.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 475
  • 2013-02-03_22-42-11_169.jpg
    2013-02-03_22-42-11_169.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 432
  • 2013-02-03_22-42-19_168.jpg
    2013-02-03_22-42-19_168.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 431
more photos, I hope somebody can tell me what it is.

Attachments

• 2013-02-03_22-42-40_296.jpg
    2013-02-03_22-42-40_296.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 448
  • 2013-02-03_22-42-48_569.jpg
    2013-02-03_22-42-48_569.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 433
My guess is that it was man-made. "Iron meteorites" usually contain a lot of nickel (5% to 25%). Your analysis doesn't mention nickel at all.

Also, a meteorite would have a lot of surface damage from the heat generated as it fell through the atmosphere. Your object does not.

Yes, lack of nickel is not suggesting a sideral iron but IUPAC reports even less 1% of Ni in some meteorites.
May be an x-ray shot can tell about homogenity.

Are there any old iron foundries near where you found it?

I have seen similar looking "stones" near Meramec Spring Missouri, USA, which was the site of an early ironworks. A geologist friend told me they were slag from the open hearth furnaces. They were smooth and black like yours but flatter.

BUt don't take me as any sort of informed source.

basically I think it is man-made.

I never hear there is a foundry there though my friends already remind me. I think it is from a mechanical part, It droped to the earth, possible in river, then after wear and tear by sand, then it becomes to the shape. i pick it on the ground , maybe hill. I can not remember clearly becasue many years. it must not be near river.

the iron is rather hard, must harder than common steel. I used the very sharp point of the saw to scratch its surface. , it only can be remain mark, it can not make obvious pits on it.

I test the compositions at several positions, they do not change much.

1. What is "My Iron from the Earth: A Childhood Memory" about?

"My Iron from the Earth: A Childhood Memory" is a personal story about a scientist's childhood experience of finding and collecting a piece of iron from the ground. It explores the curiosity and wonder that sparked the scientist's interest in science and the natural world.

2. Why is the piece of iron significant to the scientist?

The piece of iron holds sentimental value to the scientist as it represents a defining moment in their childhood that sparked their interest in science and ultimately led to their career as a scientist. It serves as a reminder of the scientist's curiosity and passion for understanding the world around them.

3. How does the scientist connect their childhood experience to their work as a scientist?

The scientist reflects on the process of discovering and collecting the piece of iron and how it sparked their curiosity and desire to learn more about the world. This experience shaped their perspective and approach to science, influencing their research and discoveries.

4. What lessons can be learned from "My Iron from the Earth: A Childhood Memory"?

"My Iron from the Earth: A Childhood Memory" highlights the importance of curiosity and wonder in sparking interest and passion in science. It also emphasizes the impact of childhood experiences on shaping one's career path.

5. How does "My Iron from the Earth: A Childhood Memory" relate to the broader field of science?

The story of "My Iron from the Earth: A Childhood Memory" showcases the personal and emotional connection that scientists can have with their work. It also highlights the role of childhood experiences in shaping scientific interests and discoveries. Overall, it reminds us of the human aspect of science and the importance of curiosity and passion in driving scientific progress.