Proving transpose(AB)=transpose(B)*tranpose(A) Help Needed

In summary, to prove that the determinant of a matrix is equal to the determinant of the transpose of the matrix, you need to do a matrix multiplication for an arbitrary matrix A and matrix B, a transpose multiplication of matrix A and then transpose of matrix B, find the multiplication of matrix AB and find the transpose of that.
torquerotates
I need help on the tranpose of a multiple of a matrix.

I need to prove: transpose(AB)=transpose(B)*tranpose(A)

Any Ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of "transpose"?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, from what I know, I just switch the subscripts and interchange rows and columns. So if A=a(ij) then, transpose(A)=a(ji)

I just don't know where to go from there

Did you try writing out the summation for the ij-th entry of both sides? I think it should be clear once you do that.

Recall that "transpose" is not only defined for square matrices. If A is an n by m matrix and B is an m by p matrix, so that you can multiply them, then AT is an m by n matrix and BT is a p by m matrix. If n is not equal to p, you can't multiply ATBT. But you can multiply BTAT.

if you know what it means in terms of being the induced map, namely composition, on dual spaces, the result is just the obvious fact that f*g*(h) = f*(g*h) = f*(hog) =
hogof = (gof)*(h) = (gf)*(h), so (gf)* = f*g*.

Well, I'm only taking an intro to linear algebra course. So I've never heard of an induced map.

How do you go about proving that the determinant of a nxn matrix A is equal to the determinant of the transpose of said matrix A using Laplace's expansion?

How can you use Det(AB) =Det A x det B to help with this?

what you need to do is to do a matrix multiplication for an abitrary matrix A and matrix B, I should say a transpose multiplication of matrix A and then transpose of matrix B. Then find the multiplication of matrix AB and find the transpose of that. It should be the same and that should do it.

1. How do I prove that transpose(AB)=transpose(B)*tranpose(A)?

To prove this, you can use the definition of transpose, which states that the transpose of a matrix is formed by interchanging the rows and columns. Therefore, you can show that the rows and columns of transpose(AB) are equal to the rows and columns of transpose(B)*transpose(A) by using the properties of matrix multiplication.

2. Why is it important to prove transpose(AB)=transpose(B)*tranpose(A)?

This property is important because it allows us to manipulate matrices in certain ways and still obtain the same result. It also helps us to simplify calculations and solve equations involving matrices.

3. Can you provide an example of how to prove transpose(AB)=transpose(B)*tranpose(A)?

Yes, for example, if we have matrices A and B, where A is a 2x3 matrix and B is a 3x4 matrix, then transpose(AB) would be a 4x2 matrix, while transpose(B)*transpose(A) would also be a 4x2 matrix. We can show that the rows and columns of both matrices are equal by using the properties of matrix multiplication.

4. Are there any exceptions to the property transpose(AB)=transpose(B)*tranpose(A)?

Yes, this property only holds true for square matrices. For non-square matrices, the order of multiplication matters and this property may not hold true.

5. How does the property transpose(AB)=transpose(B)*tranpose(A) relate to the commutative property of multiplication?

This property is similar to the commutative property, which states that the order of multiplication does not matter. However, this property only applies to matrices and is not true for all types of multiplication.