How Do Shadows and Sun Angles Relate to Tree Height?

In summary: Thank you for pointing that out.I'll try to be careful in my rounding off. Thank you for pointing that out.In summary, when the angle of elevation of the sun is 52 degrees, a tree casts a 23-foot shadow. Using the tangent function, we can find that the tree is 29 feet tall. When the angle of elevation is 38 degrees, the shadow length is 37 feet. However, using a rounded intermediate value may result in a slightly inaccurate answer.
xyz_1965
A tree casts a 23-foot shadow when the angle of elevation of the sun is 52 degrees.

(A) Find the height of the tree.

(B) Find the length of the shadow when the angle of elevation of the sun is 38 degrees.Part (A)

Let h = height of tree

tan(52°) = h/52

tan(52°)(23) = h

29.4386575404 = h

Rounding off to the nearest ones place, I get 29 feet.

The tree is 29 feet.

Part (B)

Let s = length of shadow

tan(38°) = 29/s

s = 29/tan(38°)

s = 37.1183073336

After rounding to the nearest unit, I get 37 feet.

The shadow is 37 feet.

Is this right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
xyz_1965 said:
A tree casts a 23-foot shadow when the angle of elevation of the sun is 52 degrees.

(A) Find the height of the tree.

(B) Find the length of the shadow when the angle of elevation of the sun is 38 degrees.Part (A)

Let h = height of tree.

tan(52°) = h/52

$\color{red} \tan(52) =h/23$

tan(52°)(23) = h

29.4386575404 = h

Rounding off to the nearest ones place, I get 29 feet.

The tree is 29 feet.

Part (B)

Let s = length of shadow

tan(38°) = 29/s

$\color{red} \text{I wouldn’t use the rounded value of the height in subsequent calculations. Final shadow length is closer to 38 ft}$
s = 29/tan(38°)

s = 37.1183073336

After rounding to the nearest unit, I get 37 feet.

The shadow is 37 feet.

Is this right?

see above $\color{red}\text{comments}$ in the quote.

Last edited by a moderator:
skeeter said:
see above $\color{red}\text{comments}$ in the quote.

Thank you for correcting my typos.

xyz_1965 said:
Thank you for correcting my typos.
It is fine to round a final result, but using a rounded intermediate result for more calculations (in part B) is a bit more serious than a typo. It means that the final result of B will be "off".

Klaas van Aarsen said:
It is fine to round a final result, but using a rounded intermediate result for more calculations (in part B) is a bit more serious than a typo. It means that the final result of B will be "off".

I'll try to be careful in my rounding off.

1. What is a Tree Application?

A Tree Application is a software program or mobile app that helps users identify and learn about different types of trees. It may include features such as a database of tree species, interactive maps, and educational resources.

2. How does a Tree Application work?

A Tree Application typically uses a combination of visual recognition technology and user input to identify trees. Users can take a photo of a tree or input information about its characteristics, and the app will match it to a species in its database.

3. Can a Tree Application be used for all types of trees?

While most Tree Applications have a large database of tree species, they may not cover all types of trees. Some apps may focus on a specific region or type of tree, so it's important to research and choose an app that aligns with your needs.

4. Are Tree Applications accurate?

Tree Applications use advanced technology and algorithms to identify trees, but they are not always 100% accurate. Factors such as lighting, image quality, and user input can affect the app's accuracy. It's always best to double-check the identification with a trained professional.

5. Can a Tree Application be used for tree care and maintenance?

Some Tree Applications may include features for tree care and maintenance, such as watering schedules, pruning tips, and pest management. However, it's important to consult with a certified arborist for any major tree maintenance tasks.