Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Triangle-Square

1. May 26, 2013 #1

adjacent

Gold Member

As you see in the attachment if a square exactly fits in a triangle of any shape,Then atleast Two sides of that triangle would be of equal length(Upper two sides as in attachment)

Explain this Geometrically and algebraically

I tried it but in vain(Im a 9th grader)

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2013 #2
    Is this a homework question? And if not, an you show us or explain to us what you tried?

4. May 26, 2013 #3
    I'm not convinced that this is true. Why doesn't my counterexample work?

Attached Files:

5. May 26, 2013 #4

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Well, see, here's the thing. When you CHOOSE a triangle that has two equal sides, you do indeed get a triangle with 2 equal sides. So what? What about Number Nine's example?

6. May 26, 2013 #5
    My bet is that part of the assignment details that the square has to line up with the midpoint of one of the sides. Then (I think) it would be true.

7. May 26, 2013 #6
    It would almost certainly be true in that case. I would accept a handwavy proof by symmetry.

8. May 27, 2013 #7

adjacent

Gold Member

sorry!Only one side of the square should touch a side of the triangle.The other two sides should touch one of the corners of the square.Then this will be correct.This is no homework,I am just curious.I could not find any explanation.

9. May 27, 2013 #8

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

What do you mean "touch a side"? It's not clear what configuration you mean. Draw an example

10. May 27, 2013 #9
    I'm still not convinced. You could still have a situation like the one illustrated in my picture (attached), and I'm not sure that 2 sides would necessarily be the same length.

Attached Files:

11. May 28, 2013 #10

adjacent

Gold Member

You are right Number nine,Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook