A triangle's rotational kinetic energy problem

In summary, the three 300 g masses in the figure are connected to form an equilateral triangle with sides of 0.4m. The triangle rotates at 8.00 revolutions per second around an axis through the center. To find the rotational kinetic energy, the moment of inertia (I) is calculated by adding the masses (m) times the square of the distance from the center (r). The correct value for the radius of rotation is found to be 0.2m, and using this value, the rotational kinetic energy is calculated to be 136 J.
Nadialy

Homework Statement

The three 300 g masses in the figure are connected by massless, rigid rods to form a triangle.
knight_Figure_13_29.jpg

What is the triangle's rotational kinetic energy if it rotates at 8.00 revolutions per s about an axis through the center?

Values given:
Mass of each ball at the corner of the triangle: 0.3 kg
Sides of Equilateral Triangle: 0.4m
It is rotating at 8.00 revolutions per second

Homework Equations

I= (m)(r[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + (m)(r[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + (m)(r[tex]^{2}[/tex])
K[tex]_{rot}[/tex]=(1/2)Iw[tex]^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing i did was try to find the radius of the triangle. I cut it in half down the middle, making a right angle with a side of .2m and a hypotenuse of .4m.

(0.2[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + (height[tex]^{2}[/tex]) =(0.4[tex]^{2}[/tex])
height = 0.346

I halved the height to get the radius.

Radius: 0.173

Then i used the Equation I= (m)(r[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + (m)(r[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + (m)(r[tex]^{2}[/tex])

I = (0.3)(0.173[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + (0.3)(0.173[tex]^{2}[/tex]) + (0.3)(0.173[tex]^{2}[/tex])

I = 0.027

Then i converted 8 rev per sec into 50.24 rad per sec.

Then i used K[tex]_{rot}[/tex]=(1/2)Iw[tex]^{2}[/tex]

K[tex]_{rot}[/tex]=(1/2)(0.027)(50.24)[tex]^{2}[/tex]

K[tex]_{rot}[/tex] = 136

I don't know what I'm doing wrong. Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
The radius of rotation isn't 0.173m. Think about it. It's the hypotenuse of a triangle, one of whose sides is 0.2m. It should be the distance from the center of the triangle to the rotating masses, not the "height".

Last edited:
wouldn't that be .4 then? I don't think I understand what you're trying to tell me.

The 'r' in your formula should be the distance from the axis to the rotating masses. It isn't 0.173m nor is it 0.4m. Rethink your triangle.

Thank you. That was a silly place for me to make mistakes.

What is rotational kinetic energy?

Rotational kinetic energy is the energy possessed by an object due to its rotation around an axis. It is a type of kinetic energy that is dependent on the object's mass, shape, and angular velocity.

How is rotational kinetic energy calculated for a triangle?

To calculate the rotational kinetic energy of a triangle, you need to know the moment of inertia and the angular velocity. The formula is: KE = 1/2 * I * ω², where KE is the rotational kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia, and ω is the angular velocity.

What is the moment of inertia for a triangle?

The moment of inertia for a triangle depends on its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. For a thin triangle rotating around its centroid, the moment of inertia can be calculated as I = (1/36) * m * h², where m is the mass and h is the height of the triangle.

How does changing the shape of a triangle affect its rotational kinetic energy?

The moment of inertia and therefore the rotational kinetic energy of a triangle is directly influenced by its shape. A longer and thinner triangle will have a higher moment of inertia and therefore a higher rotational kinetic energy compared to a shorter and wider triangle with the same mass and angular velocity.

Can the rotational kinetic energy of a triangle be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, like any other form of energy, rotational kinetic energy can be converted into other forms, such as potential energy or thermal energy. This conversion can occur through friction, collisions, or other processes that transfer energy from the rotating object to its surroundings.